2000 Census - 48,465
Edinburg Texas History:
In 1908, land developers John Closner, Dennis B. Chapin established the town of Chapin at the current Edinburg townsite and were successfully in their efforts to have Chapin replace Hidalgo as the Hidalgo County seat. After Dennis Chapin was tried for murdering a man in San Antonio’s Buckhorn Saloon, the town was renamed Edinburg after prominent businessman John Young’s birthplace in Edinburgh, Scotland. When naming the town, someone misspelled Edinburgh by dropping the “h.” In 1909, an 8 mile spur line was completed between Edinburg and San Juan, thus connecting Edinburg to Brownsville by rail. In 1926, Edinburg was connected to Brownsville and Corpus Christ by direct rail lines. Edinburgh had 800 residents in 1915, and incorporated in 1919. During its early years the town was a ranching community. With the arrival of irrigation in 1915 the area became primarily agricultural and quickly became a commercial center for area cotton, grain and citrus fruit growers. Vegetables, sorghum, corn, sugarcane and eggs were added to its list of agricultural products prior to World War II. After the war the economy was diversified with the addition of peaches, melons, food processing plants, cabinetry, oilfield equipment, agricultural chemicals and corrugated boxes. Tourism became a viable industry in the 1970s. Edinburg is located at the intersection of U.S. 281 and SH 107 (University Drive), 18 miles northeast of Hidalgo, 16 miles northeast of Mission, 12.7 miles north of Alamo, 12.6 miles north of McAllen, 11 miles north of Pharr, 9 miles north of Pharr, 39.6 miles northwest of Harlingen, 26 miles northwest of Mercedes, 17.4 miles northwest of Donna, and 20 miles northwest of Weslaco, Texas.
Hidalgo County Veterans War Memorial:
This memorial honors Hidalgo County residents who were killed in action during World War I, World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The memorial is located on the Hidalgo County Courthouse lawn at 100 North Closner Boulevard, Edinburg, TX 78539. (956) 381-5631.
Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery, Mission, TX:
The Rio Grande Valley State Veterans Cemetery is located on 75 acres purchased by the City of Mission from Bentsen Palm; Mission donated the land to the Texas Veterans Land Board. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the second Texas State Veterans Cemetery was held September 27, 2005. The first internment was December 4, 2006. The cemetery is located just off U.S. Highway 83 on South Inspiration Road near its junction with Military Road. It is approximately 2.5 miles south of the exit, just past Seven Oaks Golf and Country Club. Open daily, 8am-5pm. (956) 583-7227. 2520 South Inspiration Road, 78572, Mission, Texas.
Hidalgo County Courthouse, 1954:
The courthouse is located on the west side of courthouse square on the site of the former 1908 Courthouse. The original 1886 Hidalgo County Courthouse is located in the town of Hidalgo, the former Hidalgo county seat. The 2010 Hidalgo County census was 774,769. 100 North Closner Boulevard, Edinburg, TX 78539. 1908 Courthouse looked similar to this 1912 Courthouse in Jourdanton, Texas
Hidalgo County Jail, 1909:
The historic jail still has its original trap door designed for hangings. During the history of the jail, only one person was hanged. The jail served its original purpose until a new jail was built in 1922. It then served as a community center until 1931 when it became the Edinburg City Hall. The building now houses the Museum of South Texas History. A bust of Mexican independence leader Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla is located in the plaza. The old jail building is located in front of the Hidalgo County Courthouse at 121 E. McIntyre Street, 78541, near the northwest corner of Hidalgo Plaza town square at the intersection of U.S. 281 & SH 107.