Contact
 
 
County
Harris
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 28,520
Nearby
Towns
Deer Park, Texas
null
Deer Park Texas History: 
The current town of Deer Park was the site of the April, 21, 1836 Battle of San Jacinto and the signing of the peace treaty with Mexico. Simon Henry West platted Deer Park in 1893, and named for it after the private deer park that formerly occupied the site. The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway established a train station in Deer Park in 1894. The Deer Park post office was established in 1893. It was discontinued in 1919 before being reestablished in 1930. In 1896 the town had a hotel, a general store, three carpenters and 40 residents. After the town was destroyed in the Great Flood of 1900 all residents fled, except the Marsh family. The community began to grow again after the Shell Oil Company opened a refinery in 1928, though by 1940 the population had fallen to 100. The community began to flourish in the mid-1940s after oil refineries and toluene plants were established in the area. Deer Park incorporated in 1948. This heavily industrial town’s economy is based on plastics, paper products, carbon, concrete products and alkali materials. Deer Park is located at the intersection of SH 225 (Pasadena Freeway) and Sam Houston Parkway, 29 miles southeast of Humble, 18.7 miles southeast of Houston, 35.8 miles southeast of Kingwood, 15.5 miles south of Sheldon, 9 miles south of Channelview, 12 miles southwest of Baytown, 44.7 miles northwest of Galveston, 8.5 miles northwest of La Porte, 21 miles north of League City, and 6.9 miles northeast of Pasadena, Texas.  
 
Historic Deer Park, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Illinois native Simeon Henry West (1827-1920) settled in this vicinity in 1892 hoping to develop the area, with its mild climate and proximity to waterways, into a farming and trading center. By the year's end, he had purchased property and platted the town of Deer Park, naming it after a nearby private park inhabited by many deer. After completing the Deer Park Hotel in 1893, West marketed his development primarily to Northerners. More than ninety settlers moved here, attracted by the prospects for fruit and tobacco farming and the trade links to the Houston & Northern Railway and Houston's waterways that West was developing. The promising town was nearly destroyed in the hurricane of 1900, after which every family except one returned north. A few people moved to Deer Park in later years. In 1905, the Edwin Rice Brown family leased as their family home the Deer Park Hotel, the focal point of area social life. However, the town's population remained very small. Not until 1928, when Shell Chemical Company relocated here, did a new period of growth begin. Deer Park's business district, churches, and schools were reestablished, and in 1948 the citizens of Deer Park voted to incorporate.” 1402 Center Street, 77536.
 
Historic Pratt Truss Bridge, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“A pin connected truss bridge characteristic of the popular style that once dotted rural Texas, this bridge is the last one in Texas built by the Clinton Bridge and Iron Company of Iowa. Originally opened in 1891 on the Leon River in Coryell County in what later became Mother Neff State Park, the bridge was moved 6 miles in the late 1940s or early 1950s to County Road 322. By 1993 the bridge could no longer support modern road traffic. Texas Department of Transportation officials, in a historic preservation agreement with the Texas Historical Commission, painstakingly transported it more than 150 miles to this site.”  The bridge is located at 1600 Georgia Avenue, 77536. Photos  
 
Historic Dr. George Moffit Patrick Cabin, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(This was the original) site of the home in 1836 of Dr. George Moffit Patrick, 1801-1889, pioneer surveyor. Here the Texas army encamped after the Battle of San Jacinto and cabinet meetings were held.” The marker is located at 1900 Tidal Road, 77536.
 
Historic Patrick's Cabin:
Patrick’s Cabin is a replica of the cabin in which the initial draft of the peace treaty between Mexico and the U.S. was drawn following the Battle of San Jacinto. The gravestones of Mary Jackson and William Wilson were relocated by Shell Oil from the San Jacinto battleground site to Dow Park in 1977. They were later moved to a small fenced area behind Patrick’s Cabin. (281) 479-2394. 1410 Center Street, 77536.