2010 Census - 7,242
2000 Census - 5,709
Dayton, Texas
Dayton Texas History:
Dayton was developed on a hill three miles west of the Trinity River in 1831. It was originally called West Liberty and was considered a part of the town of Liberty which is located on the east side of the Trinity River. The two towns were connected by a ferry service. Both towns were located in the Mexican municipality of Santísima Trinidad de la Libertad. The municipality’s name was soon shortened to Liberty. The post office of West Liberty operated from 1839-1841. The town of West Liberty was surveyed and platted in 1853. Around 1854, the town also became known as Day’s Town for a wealthy local landowner. In 1860, West Liberty became a flag stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The stop was known by various names including West Liberty, Days Station and Dayton. In 1877, the Dayton post office was established, though the official town name remained West Liberty until the mid-1880s. In 1885, Dayton had sixty residents. The population rose to 239 residents by 1890. Cattle and lumbering were major industries until James E. Berry established a drainage system for rice growing. Texas Governor Marion Price Daniel, Sr. was born in Dayton. By 1910, Dayton had two cotton gins, a bank, a weekly newspaper and 2,500 residents. Dayton incorporated in 1911; it reincorporated in 1925. Oil was discovered during the 1920s, providing a boost to the town’s economy. Dayton is located on the west shore of the Trinity River at the intersection of U.S. 90, SH 321 (Cleveland Street), SH 146, FM 1409 (Winfree), FM 1960 and FM 1008, 50 miles southeast of Conroe, 26.6 miles southeast of Cleveland and the Sam Houston National Forest, 55 miles southeast of Livingston and Lake Livingston, 49 miles southwest of Kountze and the Big Thicket National Preserve, 55 miles southwest of Lumberton and Village Creek State Park, 58 miles southwest of Silsbee, 36.6 miles southwest of Sour Lake, 47 miles west of Beaumont, 5.6 miles west of Liberty, 48 miles northwest of Winnie, 38 miles northwest of Anahuac, 24.4 miles northwest of Baytown, 26.7 miles northwest of Wallisville, 32 miles northeast of La Porte, 37.4 miles northeast of Houston, 21.4 miles northeast of Sheldon and Sheldon Lake State Park, and 22.4 miles east of Kingwood, Texas and Lake Houston.
Daisetta Sinkhole, Daisetta Texas:
Because the town sits on a salt dome, the area is prone to the creation of sinkholes when a salt dome collapses. In May of 2008, the smaller 1969 sinkhole adjacent to FM 770 grew to approximately 600 feet in diameter and approximately 100 to 100 feet deep. The sinkhole is now a pond.
Old School Museum, 1900-1910:
The museum is located in the restored early 1900s Dayton schoolhouse. Exhibits include math teacher Katie Griffith’s desk, a picture painted by M.W. Ford, Jr., an early 1900s wall phone, vintage photos, three sizes of student desks, a World War II era radio, and pioneer items. The museum is owned and managed by the Dayton Historical Society whose meetings are held on the last Monday of each month at 6pm in the Old School Meeting Room; everyone is welcome to attend. The meeting room is available for event rentals. Open Thu-Sat, 10am-2pm. Special tours are available by appointment. 111 W. Houston Street. Current Contacts     
Jones Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9:30am-5:30pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-2pm. (936) 258-7060. 801 South Cleveland Street.