2000 Census - 3,118
Farmersville Texas History:
The town was founded in 1849 and named by early farm settlers. By 1854, residents and businesses of the community of Sugar Hill located two miles northeast of Farmersville had resettled in Farmersville. The Farmersville post office was established in 1857. In 1859, William Gotcher donated land for the town square. The town incorporated in 1873. During its early years, Farmersville was a shipping and supply center for area farmers, cattle ranchers and the Bois d’Arc post industry. In later years, cotton, corn, maize, onions and cantaloupes became major crops. In the late 1880s, Farmersville was a major producer of dairy products, beef cattle, wheat and maize. Today many residents commute to nearby communities for work. Audie Murphy was born approximately 15 miles northeast of Farmersville in Kingston, Texas. He lived and worked in Farmersville prior to enlisting in the United States Army, and used his sister's address in Farmersville as his own while he was overseas. Farmersville is located approximately two miles east of Lake Lavon at the intersection of U.S. 380 and SH 78, 42 miles northeast of Dallas, 36.4 miles northeast of The Colony and Lake Lewisville, 47 miles slightly southeast of Denton, 19 miles slightly southeast of McKinney, 8.8 miles slightly southeast of Princeton, 50 miles southeast of Pilot Point and Ray Roberts Lake, 45 miles southeast of Denison and Lake Texoma, 36 miles southwest of Bonham and Bonham State Park, 45 miles southwest of Cooper and Jim Chapman Lake, 47 miles west of Sulphur Springs, 15 miles west of Greenville, 32 miles northwest of Quinlan and Lake Tawakoni, 27.5 miles northeast of Garland, 22 miles northeast of Ray Hubbard Lake, and 18 miles northeast of Wylie, Texas.
Freedom Plaza & Veterans Memorial:
Amenities include a Veterans Memorial, an Audie Murphy memorial and historical marker, and walkways. The plaza is located at Washington & McKinney Streets.
Historic 1930s Onion Shed:
This shed was the former loading dock for the onion industry. It is now used for the Farmers & Fleas Market held the first Saturday of each month and for other community events. A Texas Historical Marker is located at the west entrance. The Onion Shed is located adjacent to the Memorial City Park in downtown Farmersville. Reservations: (972) 782-6533. 151 S. Main Street.
WPA Post Office Murals History:
During the Great Depression FDR created the New Deal Program to provide jobs for out of work American men by funding construction projects to build post offices and other buildings, and state and local parks. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created in May, 1935, under the New Deal Program. The U.S. Treasury Department’s Section of Painting and Sculpture, later known as The Section of Fine Arts, put artists to work by funding Post Office Murals to be placed in the new post offices. Though the majority of the post office art consists of oil paintings on canvas, other art mediums were also used. The murals are located in every state. Post Office Murals Photos
Farmersville WPA Post Office Mural:
The mural "Soil Conservation in Collin County" was painted by Jerry Bywaters in 1941.(972) 782-7172. The mural is located in the McKinney post office at 213 McKinney Street, 75442.
Bain-Honaker House Museum, 1865:
Anna Melissa Bain built this five bedroom house for herself and her five daughters shortly after the death of her husband. Amenities include the house, a pig pen, an outhouse and a smokehouse. The museum features exhibits, photos and memorabilia depicting the history of Farmersville. This house is maintained by the Farmersville Historical Society. Each year fifth grad students spend one day at the museum dressed in period costumes and participating in old time activities. (972) 782-6195. 108 College Street.
Charles J. Rike Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 8:30am-6pm; Wed & Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm; Sat, 9am-2pm; closed Sunday and Monday. (972) 782-6681. 203 Orange Street. Email