2000 Census - 335
Falcon Heights Texas History:
The town of Falcon Heights was founded in 1954 after the completion of the Falcon Dam. It is located at the site of Holy Trinity Church, an active Catholic mission church. In 1990 the community had a post office, two motels, three trailer parks, a lumberyard, an automatic telephone center, a bar, a water company and a Baptist church. The nearby 75 acre Starr County Recreation Park provides camping and picnic facilities. The town is predominantly Spanish speaking. More than 1,000 bird watchers come each year to see the ferruginous pygmy owl, brown jay, Audubon’s oriole and other bird species. Students attend Roma, Texas schools. Falcon Heights is located on the eastern edge of Falcon State Park on RR 2098, 3 miles west of U.S. 83 (North Grant Street), and 44.6 miles southeast of San Ygnacio, 30 miles southeast of Zapata, 26 miles northwest of Rio Grande City, and 14 miles northwest of Roma, Texas.
Historic Falcon Texas, 1750s-1953:
The original settlers were brought into the area by Col. Jose de Escandon who developed over 20 Spanish missions and towns along the Rio Grande River including Camargo, Reynosa, Mier, Revilla south of the river, and Laredo north of the river. The King of Spain promised to give land grants to the new colonists. In the mid-1700s the King of Spain gave a 6,123 acre land grant to Jose Clemente Gutierrez who later sold the land to Jose Clemente Ramirez. In 1780, Ramirez united two of the area’s most distinguished families by marrying Margarita de la Garza Falcón.Ramirez and his wife moved to the old site of Falcon which was called Ramireno de Abajo. In the early 1900s Ildefonso Ramirez opened a general store, and in 1915 the post office was established under the name Falcon. The 12.47 acre town had 4 acres of Rio Grande River frontage. When the Falcon International Reservoir was being constructed the federal government offered to move Falcon residents to Zapata, but the residents opted to stay where they were. Thinking they had several years before the lake filled, the government started impounding the lake before the Falcon issue was settled. But in August 1953, it began raining heavily and the town was flooded by lake waters; the villagers fled. Rafaela Ramos de Serna marked off fifty acres of her nearby land into town lots, and sold them for $100 each to the villagers; the town became the New Falcon. Later, the government refused to pay them the full price for their homes and belongings because they were under water and no longer usable.The new Falcon is located east of the Falcon International Reservoir on U.S. 83, 4 miles north of Falcon State Park and Falcon Heights, and approximately 30 miles southeast of Zapata, Texas.
Nueva Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas, Mexico:
Old Guerrero City was inundated by the floodwaters of Falcon Lake when the lake was impounded in 1953. The town moved from its original location on the original banks of the Rio Grande to its current location on the shores of Falcon Lake across the dam road from Falcon Heights, Texas. Old Guerrero’s church (26°46′40″N 99°20′21″W?/ ?26.7777°N 99.3391°W?/ 26.7777; -99.3391) is partially above water and may still be viewed on the Salado Arm of the lake or approached on land when the water level in the lake is low. Other towns inundated include old Zapata, Ramireno, Uribeno, Lopeno, Clareno and Falcon. The El Fuente Restaurant servesgreat seafood, appetizers, shrimp cocktails, and garlic shrimp. The Capri Restaurant serves good ponchos, lunch, dinner and mixed drinks; the owners are the parents of Carlos Olivares who owns the Falcon Motel.
Miguel Aleman, Tamaulipas, Mexico:
This city of 19,997 residents is located across the Rio Grande River from Roma, Texas. Prior to 1950 the city was named San Pedro de Roma.
Mexico Travel Warning
Mexico & Canada Travel Information
Duty Free Information
Border Bridge Wait Times
Lake Falcon Dam International Crossing, Falcon Heights to Nuevo Guerrero, Mexico:
This two lane road crossing runs above Falcon Dam, and is locally known as Puente San Juan, Falcon Dam, Presa Falcon, and Puente Internacional de la Presa. It was built in 1936 by the International Boundary and Water Commission (IBWC). The road is open daily, 7am-9pm. Before crossing the bridge check current bridge closing times. If you need to return to the U.S. after the bridge is closed you will need to drive to Miguel Aleman, Mexico and cross the bridge into Roma, Texas. The dam road is located on FM 2098, 3 miles from U.S. 83. (956) 849-1678.
San Pedro-Roma International Bridge, 1927:
This green colored suspension bridge is one of 8 still in existence in Texas. Its 192 meter length spans the Rio Grande River between Roma Texas and Ciudad Miguel Aleman, Mexico; it has not been used as a border crossing since 1979. It has been painted and restored. Future plans include preserving it as a pedestrian crossing. The bridge is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, and on Mexico’s National Artistic Monuments list.
Roma-Ciudad Miguel Aleman (Mexico) Bridge, 1988:
This 810 foot long, two-lane bridge is owned by Starr County; it was completed in 1988. It is known as the Starr County International Bridge, Roma Bridge and Puente Roma-Miguel Alemán Bridge.The bridge is located in the historical portion of Roma and is used by pedestrians and by commercial and passenger vehicles. It is open 24 hours a day. (956) 487-2709. (956) 849-1678. 405 North Estrella Street, Roma, TX 78584.