Contact
 
 
County
Moore
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 14,691
2000 Census - 13,747
Nearby
Towns
Dumas, Texas
null
Dumas Texas History:
Louis Dumas was president of the Texas Panhandle Town Company which invested in railroad survey lands which were located on future railroad routes. In January, 1891 Dumas and his fellow investors established the Moore County Townsite Company and platted the town of Dumas on land located approximately five miles south of Palo Duro Creek. Their headquarters building served as a hotel, general store and post office. In 1892, Dumas was elected county seat of the newly established Moore County. The town was almost deserted during the grasshopper plague the summer of 1893 and the severe winter that followed. Even Louis Dumas moved back to Grayson County. During the next few years the town was often inhabited by only one family. In 1900, the only business was a mercantile store. In 1904, Phillips and Son purchased this store in which is still operating today. The railroad did not arrive until 1931, so all supplies were brought in by road from Amarillo. In 1915, Dumas had a skating rink, general stores, businesses serving ranchers and wheat farmers, a blacksmith shop, a barber, a lumberyard, a drugstore, churches, a newspaper, automobiles, and telephone service. A gin was opened in 1918 when farmers began growing cotton. In 1926, oil and gas were discovered in the area. Shamrock Oil and Gas and other major oil companies moved into the area and the town began to rapidly grow. In 1931, the North Plains and Santa Fe Railway built a line from Amarillo to Boise City, Oklahoma via Dumas. The railroad brought increased prosperity and the city paved streets, established a fire department, and built a new courthouse. Despite the Dust Bowl, the population of Dumas grew to 2,500 by 1935. Dumas is one of the state's leading grain sorghum producing area. Moore County also produces large quantities of natural gas and two-thirds of the nation's helium. On July 29, 1956, a petroleum tank farm explosion and resulting fire killed 19 men from Dumas and Sunray. A list of the men who lost their lives is inscribed on the Firefighters Monument on the Texas State Capitol grounds in Austin. Dumas is located at the intersections of U.S. 287 (Dumas Avenue), U.S. 87 (W. 1st Street) and SH 152 (E. 1st Street), 62 miles southwest of Spearman, 33.4 miles southeast of Stratford, 31 miles slightly northwest of Stinnett, 38.5 miles northwest of Fritch, 47 miles north of Amarillo, 47 mikles northeast of Boys Ranch Tascosa, 33.8 mikles northeast of Channing, and 38 miles southeast of Dalhart, Texas.

Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Wind Turbines, Gruver Article:
The Texas panhandle is known for its strong winds. Mike McLain was the first area farmer to have wind turbines placed on his land. Exelon Wind, a division of Exelon Power, operates wind turbines near Gruver, Stratford and between Sunray and Dumas.
 
Moore County Courthouse, 1930:
The brick and concrete courthouse was designed in modern style with beautiful architectural detail by the firm of Berry & Hatch. The jail was originally located on the top floor and was used until 1979. The district courtroom was recently restored to its original condition. The 2010 Moore County census was 21,904. (806) 935-5588. 715 S. Dumas Avenue, Dumas, Texas 79029. Email