Contact
 
 
County
Denton
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 113,383
2000 Census - 80,537
Nearby
Towns
Denton, Texas
null
Denton Texas History:
Denton was founded in 1857 as the county seat of the newly established Denton County. Hiram Cisco, William Woodruff, and William Loving donated 100 acres for the townsite. Otis G. Welch, sometimes referred to as the "Father of Denton," was a member of the three man commission that platted the town. Denton incorporated in 1866. Initial growth was slow; Denton had 1,194 residents by 1880. In 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railway built a north-south line from Sherman through Denton to Fort Worth, and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway built a north-south line through Denton to Dallas,causing the population to more than double to 2,558 by 1890. In 1887, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway bypassed Denton when it built an east-west line through Denton County. The lack of an east-west transportation line through Denton prevented the town from becoming a manufacturing and wholesale center, though it did become a center for light agriculture-related manufacturing concerns, like flour mills and cottonseed oil mills, and small cottage industries, like pottery kilns and blacksmith shops. In 1890, the North Texas Normal College was established; it later became the University of North Texas. When Lake Dallas (now Lake Lewisville) was formed in 1927, Denton refused to contract with Dallas for Water storage, making artesian wells Denton’s sole source of water until the 1950s when Denton obtained water storage in Lewisville Lake. By the 1980s it had contracted for water from the new Lake Ray Roberts. The opening of the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in the early 1970s added to the town’s population as many airline employee chose to live in Denton because Denton is closer to the airport than many areas of Dallas and Fort Worth. Denton has a very active arts and theatre community. North Texas and the Denton area has one of the largest concentrations of horse farms in the world with over 450 horse farms and ranches. Tours and self-guided tours are available. Denton is located west and northwest of Louisville Lake and south of Lake Ray Roberts at the junction of IH-35E and IH-35W and their intersections with U.S. 377, U.S. 77 and U.S 380, 32 miles south of Gainesville, 13 miles south of Sanger and Lake Ray Roberts, 66.4 miles southwest of Denison, 61 miles southwest of Sherman, 21 miles southwest of Pilot Point, 14.4 miles southwest of Aubrey, 32.5 miles west of McKinney, 49 miles northwest of Wylie and Lake Lavon, 46 miles northwest of Garland and Lake Ray Hubbard, 42 miles northwest of Dallas, 26.5 miles northwest of Grapevine and Lake Grapevine,16 miles northwest of Lewisville, 40 miles northeast of Fort Worth, 38 miles east of Bridgeport and Lake Bridgeport, 27.7 miles east of Decatur and the LBJ National Grasslands, 56 miles southeast of Bowie, and 45 miles southeast of Muenster, Texas.   
 
Denton Main Street Organization & Historic Downtown Denton:
Denton is a Texas Historical Commission Main Street City with over 140 renovated historic structures. Several of these structures were built by famed architect O’Neill Ford. The courthouse square is one of the most actively used courthouse squares in Texas due to the nearby residential neighborhoods and the University of North Texas Campus. Many of the buildings on the square are of the same vintage as the 1896 courthouse, and many of these buildings house antique and other shops, art galleries and restaurants. The courthouse square is one of the most actively used courthouse squares in Texas due to the nearby residential neighborhoods and the University of North Texas Campus. Many of the buildings on the square are of the same vintage as the 1896 courthouse, and many of these buildings house antique and other shops, art galleries and restaurants. The courthouse lawn is used as a gathering site for musicians and listeners. Silk Stocking Row is located in the Oak Hickory Historic District and consists of a collection of historic homes built by wealthy merchants along West Oak Street which runs along the north side of the courthouse square. Denton also has dozens of outdoor Public Art pieces. Tour information for these historic areas is available from Denton Main Street. (940) 349-8529.
 
Denton County Courthouse, 1896:
This beautiful Texas limestone courthouse was designed in second empire and Romanesque revival style by renowned courthouse architect Wesley Clark Dodson. It is one of the most photographed courthouse in Texas after the Ellis County Courthouse in Waxahachie. The Denton County Courthouse is listed as a Texas Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse now houses the Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum. 110 W. Hickory Street, Denton, TX 76201. Denton County Map 
 
Denton County Courthouse:
This newer courthouse replaced the 1896 courthouse on the square. The 2010 Denton County census was 662,614. (940) 349-8200. 215 E. McKinney Street, Denton, Texas 76201. Denton County Map