Contact
 
 
County
Wharton
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 61
Nearby
Towns
Danevang, Texas
null
Danevang Texas History:
Danevang is the only Danish settlement in Texas. In 1884, the Dansk Folkensamfund (Danish People’s Society) purchased the Danevang land. The Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church promoted the settlement as a church colony and assured the preservation of Danish culture. Seventy Danish families arrived from the northern United States and from Denmark the first year. The Danevang post office was established in 1885. The town’s economy was based on agriculture, primarily cotton. For many years the 1895 public school taught the history and language of Denmark. By 1920 the town had established telephone service, a fire insurance company, and the Danish Farmer’s Cooperative. The first weather station in Wharton County was established in 1896. The town continues to keep records for the U.S. Weather Bureau. The town has kept its Danish culture alive through observance of special church holidays, and special events. Members of the Danish Club of Houston are regularly involved in the town’s events and cultural traditions. In 1995, the Texas legislature proclaimed Danevang to be the Danish Capitol of Texas. A Texas Historical Marker commemorates the town's founding. A three acre site contains the Pioneer Home, Hansen Shed, and the Danish Cultural Museum. The Settler’s Monument commemorates the town’s early settlers. Danevang is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 424, 48 miles southeast of Eagle Lake, 10.8 miles southeast of El Campo, 49 miles southwest of Needville, 23.4 miles southwest of Wharton, 14.6 miles north of Danevang, 21 miles northwest of Bay City, and 35.6 miles northeast of Edna, Texas
 
Historic Danevang Community Hall, 1895, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Danevang Community Hall (Danevang Forsamlingshus) The Danish community of Danevang (Danish Field) was founded in 1894, at the height of Danish emigration to the United States. The Dansk Folkesamfund (Danish Folk Society), organized in the Midwest in 1887 to preserve Danish culture, language and religion, arranged for land for a settlement here and contacted Danes living in the northern and Midwestern United States to establish a colony in Texas. After the first colonists arrived, the society helped fund a building the community could use as a gathering place. Completed in 1895, the Danevang Community Hall (Forsamlingshus) later was donated by the society to the community, along with 45 acres of land. Until the first church building was constructed about 1908, the community hall served as both church and assembly space, and provided living quarters for the Danish Lutheran pastor on the second floor. The Danevang School, also dating to 1895, held its first classes in the building. Over the years, additions and modifications were made to the Danevang Community Hall to accommodate the needs of the colonists. All major secular and sacred festivals were celebrated here, and the building became a cultural landmark for the community. Torn from its foundation in a 1945 hurricane, the Forsamlingshus was repaired and continues to serve the community, which remained largely Danish American at the turn of the 21st century.” The Hall is the oldest building in town.
 
Danish Heritage Preservation Society Museums:
The Danish Heritage Museum, Pioneer House and Hasen Shed are located on the Danish Heritage Preservation Society’s three acre site. The 2001 museum building is styled after a Danish barn with a red roof. All three buildings are open year round, Tue-Sun, 1pm-4pm, and by special appointment. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang, TX 77432. This site is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 426, one mile south of the blinking light. Email  Facebook 
 
Danish Heritage Preservation Society Museums:
The early settlers were careful to keep records and photos of their culture, and passed them on to future generations. The society built a 6,100 square foot museum; 5,100 square feet are used to display these photos and historic artifacts. The museum also displays the history of Danish farming in the area, and a history of the schools and Danish families. One area is set aside for families of the pioneers to build and display an exhibit showing the history of their pioneer ancestors; the family exhibits are rotated annually. Also on display is Harold Hansen’s extensive collection of barbed wire. Maps and local site information are available. Open year round, Tue-Sun, 1pm-4pm, and by special appointment. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang, TX 77432. This site is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 426, one mile south of the blinking light. Email 
 
Pioneer House:
Built in 1896, this Sears Roebuck house was carefully moved from its original farm site and restored. It is furnished with period pieces of furniture and appliances from the 1890s to World War l. Open year round, Tue-Sun, 1pm-4pm, and by special appointment. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang, TX 77432. This site is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 426, one mile south of the blinking light. Email 
 
Hansen Shed:
The shed was donated by Harold and Ella Hansen, and moved to the site in 1993. Hasen Shed is a farm museum housing many farm items from the Hansen’s private collection. Open year round, Tue-Sun, 1pm-4pm, and by special appointment. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang, TX 77432. This site is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 426, one mile south of the blinking light.  Email 
 
Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church & Cemetery:
Beginning in 1894, church services were held in various homes. Later, farmers donated a share of their crops to fund a church building which was completed in 1908; it was by a hurricane in 1945. In 1947, the church purchased a chapel from Camp Hulen, a deactivated Army training facility in Palacios, and moved it to their church property. Many generations of single families are interred in the church cemetery; guide maps are available from the museum. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang, TX 77432. This site is located at the intersection of SH 71 and CR 426, one mile south of the blinking light.   
 
El Maton National (Dance) Hall and Tavern:
This is one of the oldest dance halls in Texas. It offers live music, cold beer and dancing. It is available for private functions. Open Fri-Sat, 5pm-Midnight. The dance hall hosts an annual St. Patrick’s Day BBQ cook-off with live music on Friday and Saturday nights. (979) 479-5456. (979) 240-5858. The hall is located  south of SH 35 at the intersection of FM 1095 and CR 432, approximately 2 miles east of Blessing, 10 miles southwest of Bay City, and 24 miles south of El Campo, Texas at 565 FM 1095, Elmaton, Texas 77440. Email  Elmaton Area Map  Elmaton Map; Click to Enlarge 
 
Annual Celebration of the Birthday of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, Apr:
The Danish Club of Houston celebrates the Queen’s birthday in Danevang. The Queen’s birthday is April 15th. The event is celebrated as close to the day as possible. The celebrations begin around the flag poles and Settler’s Monument, and then moves to the Community Hall for the noon meal. Spirited singing and a toast to the Queen are part of the activities. The afternoon activities include a bike ride, a horse shoe tournament, card games and dominos, and children’s crafts. (979) 578-0808.
 
Annual Danish Heritage Museum 5K Run:
Activities include a 5K run, a children’s one mile run, and a one mile family walk/run. (979) 578-0808. 153 CR 426, Danevang. Email 
 
Annual Grundlov Dag Festival (Denmark’s Constitution Day), June 5th:
The Denmark constitution was signed on June 5th; the celebration occurs on the closest possible date. The celebration begins at the Danevang Lutheran Church with a meeting. Activities include singing and a picnic.(979) 578-0808.
 
Hotel Blessing & Restaurant, Blessing, TX:
Built in 1906, the hotel was given to the Blessing Historical Foundation in 1978. It was restored and functions as a hotel. The Blessing Hotel Coffee Shop still has the old wood stove. The Coffee Shop menu changes daily. The food is excellent country cooking; customers serve themselves from pots set on the old potbellied stoves. Turkey and dressing is served every Sunday. The Coffee Shop serves breakfast and lunch daily; closed on Christmas Day. It closes at 2pm. Sometimes the Hotel is closed, but the restaurant always remains open. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (361) 588-6623. 128 10th Street, Blessing, Texas 77419. Blessing is located on Sh 35, 17.5 miles southwest of Bay City, Texas. Restaurant Reviews