Contact
 
 
County
Robertson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,564
2000 Census - 1,470
Nearby
Towns
Franklin, Texas
null
Franklin Texas History:
The town was established as Morgan in 1872. Within the year it had an International Railway Depot and three stores. In 1879, Robertson County voters elected to transfer the Robertson County seat from Calvert, Texas to Morgan. When the community applied for its post office in 1880, another Texas post office was named Morgan, so residents renamed the town Franklin. By 1885, Franklin had a courthouse, a newspaper, three hotels, three churches, two gristmills, a school, and a harness and saddle plant. Isaac R. Overall opened a hotel and mineral springs spa in 1890. It attracted tourists for several years. The town’s four churches were destroyed in a 1913 windstorm that damaged every the building in the county. Franklin is located at the intersection of U.S. 79, FM 2446 (West Decherd Street) and FM 46 (Bremond Street north and Wheelock Street south of U.S. 70), 63 miles north of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 43 miles northeast of Rockdale, 13.4 miles northeast of Hearne, 13 miles northeast of Calvert, 46 miles southeast of Marlin, 49 miles southeast of Groesbeck and Lake Limestone, 62 miles south of Mexia, 58 miles southwest of Teague, 41 miles southwest of Buffalo, 38 miles southwest of Centerville and Fort Boggy State Park, 4 miles southwest of New Baden, 52 miles northwest of Madisonville, 16.7 miles northwest of Bremond, 37.6 miles northwest of College Station, and 31 miles northwest of Bryan, Texas.
 
Historic Franklin, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This community was established in 1872 and named Morgan for a railroad official. Located on the right-of-way of the International Railway Company, the town contained a depot and three stores in its first year. By 1879, the town had 200 residents and voters transferred the county seat from Calvert to Morgan. The community applied for a post office in 1880. Another Texas post office was named Morgan, so the town name was changed to Franklin after the name of the original county seat. A stone courthouse, designed by R. E. Ruffini, was completed in 1882. The town's first newspaper, the Franklin Weekly, was published by J. A. Keigewin. By 1885, Franklin had three hotels, three churches, and two gristmills. Mineral springs attracted visitors to the area for many years. A cemetery was formally established in 1880 at a site where several graves were already in existence. The community's first school building, a frame structure, burned in 1894 and another was erected. The First National Bank of Franklin was chartered in 1905; the First State Bank was established in 1913. A Carnegie Library was built and equipped with an auditorium. By the 1970s Franklin, an incorporated community, had a mayor-council form of city government.”
 
Robertson County Courthouse, 1882;
Robertson County has had 5 county seats, Old Franklin, Wheelock, Owensville, Calvert, and the present Franklin. The stone courthouse was designed in Second Empire style by F. E. Ruffini. The tower and Mansard roof were removed during the 1924 remodeling. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 2010 Robertson County census was 16,622. 102 East Decherd Street.  
 
Historic Robertson County Jail, 1882:
The jail was designed by architect F.E. Ruffini who also designed the 1882 courthouse. Additions have obscured much of the original structure. The jail was in use until 1988. It is located behind the courthouse. 
 
Carnegie Libraries History:
2,509 of these beautiful Carnegie Libraries were built between 1883 and 1929 with funds donated by Scottish American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Very few towns that requested a grant and agreed to his terms were refused. When the last grant was made in 1919, there were 3,500 libraries in the United States, nearly half of them built with construction grants paid by Carnegie. Of the 32 Texas Carnegie Libraries12 still exist. Five of these still serve as libraries (Ballinger, Bryan, Franklin, Stamford, and Jefferson, Texas). The Carnegie libraries in Belton, Cleburne, Sherman, Terrell and Tyler house museums. The Gainesville Carnegie Library is a playhouse, and the Palestine Carnegie library houses the Palestine Chamber of Commerce.
 
Carnegie Public Library:
This library is housed in the 1913 Franklin Carnegie Library building and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, audio books, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-noon, and 1pm-5pm; closed Saturday and Sunday. (979) 828-4331. 315 E. Decherd Street.  Facebook