Contact
 
 
County
Wilson
Region
South Texas Plains
Population
2010 Census - 6,448
2000 Census - 5,868
Nearby
Towns
Floresville, Texas
null
Floresville Texas History:
The area was first settled in the eighteenth century by Canary Island immigrant Don Francisco Flores de Abrego who established his ranch headquarters six miles northwest of present day Floresville at the current junction of FM 536 and Goliad Road. A community named Lodi developed at the ranch headquarters; in 1833 it included the Flores home, a chapel and a graveyard. Lodi was the Wilson County seat from 1867 to March of 1871, when Sutherland briefly became county seat. In July of 1871, Lodi regained its county seat status only to lose it in 1873 when Floresville became the permanent county seat. Floresville was established in 1867 on part of the eight league land grant given to Simon and Juan de Arocha when the Mission San Francisco de la Espada its Rancho de Las Cabras lands were secularized. Floresville was founded in 1867 on a portion of the land grant given to Simon and Juan de Arocha; it was named in honor of the Flores family. In the early 1870s, Floresville was platted and Andrew G. Pickett began raising peanuts on his irrigated farm. The Floresville post office was established in 1872. Wilson County voters elected Floresville as the Wilson County seat in 1873. That same year Floresville received an economic and population boost when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad decided to build a line through town. In 1885, the town had a weekly newspaper, two steam cotton gins, two hotels, several stores and 400 residents. Floresville incorporated in 1890 when it had 1,500 residents. Major industries in the early twentieth century were cotton and livestock. By 1915, peanuts were an important cash crop. Today Floresville is an area marketing center for the peanut, small grain and cattle industries. The town’s growth has benefited from its proximity to San Antonio where many residents work. Floresville is known as the “Peanut Capital of Texas;” a 6 foot tall peanut monument is located in front of the Wilson County Courthouse. The annual Floresville Peanut Festival was established in 1938; it attracts over 10,000 visitors each year. Floresville is the birthplace of former Texas Governor John B. Connelly, Jr. Portions of the movies “Sugarland Express,” “The Big Brawl,” and “The Great Waldo Pepper” were filmed in Floresville. Floresville is located on the San Antonio River at the intersections of U.S. 181 (10th Street to 3rd Streets), SH 97 (Standish Street) and FM 536 (Pleasanton Road), 15 miles southeast of Elmendorf, 31 miles northeast of Poteet, 29 miles northeast of Jourdanton, 23.5 miles northeast of Pleasanton, 30.5 miles northwest of Kenedy, 24.5 miles northwest of Karnes City, 23.5 miles northwest of Panna Maria, 19 miles northwest of Cestohowa, 7 miles northwest of Poth, 12 miles west of Kosciusko, 28 miles southwest of Nixon, 16 miles southwest of Stockdale, 13 miles southwest of Sutherland Springs, 21.5 miles south of La Vernia, 40 miles southwest of Seguin, and 30 miles southeast of San Antonio, Texas.
 
Wilson County Courthouse, 1884:
This brick courthouse was designed in second empire/Italianate style by famed courthouse architect Alfred Giles. The brick was plastered over in 1936. The courthouse was evacuated in September, 2011 due to structural problems; it will be renovated. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Texas Historical Landmark. The 2010 Wilson County census was 42,918. 1420 3rd Street.