Falfurrias Texas History:
In 1895, Edward C. Lasater established a cattle ranch in the area. This ranch became known as the Falfurrias Ranch. The ranch grew to 350,000 acres and contained the largest herd of Jersey cows in the nation. He was instrumental in getting the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad to build a line through his property in 1904. He founded the town of Falfurrias at the railroad terminus located four miles east of his ranch house, and renamed his ranch La Mota. He established the Falfurrias Immigration Company to attract settlers to the new town. The Falfurrias post office was established in 1898. In 1909, Lasater established a creamery which produced Falfurrias butter and other dairy products. Though the Falfurrias butter brand is still being produced, it is no longer made locally. In 1911, Falfurrias was named county seat of the newly established Brooks County. In the late 1920s, irrigation brought truck farming and citrus orchards to the area. Oil and gas was discovered in the 1930s and 1940s. Today the town is a center for area farming and ranching. A U.S. Customs Border Checkpoint is located near the town. Falfurrias is located on Palo Blanco Creek at the intersections U.S. 281, SH 285, FM 1418 and FM 2191, 91 miles east of Laredo, 34.8 miles east of Hebbronville, 65 miles southeast of Freer, 45 miles southeast of San Diego, 37.7 miles south of Alice, 38 miles southeast of Kingsville, 22.4 miles southwest of Riviera, and 70 miles northeast of Raymondville, Texas.
Historic Falfurrias, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(Falfurrias was) Founded as a cattle shipping point by Edward C. Lasater, 1904. Town bears name of a village on land he purchased in 1893. When the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad extended its lines, Lasater platted present townsite, built a hotel, general store, water and power plants, and cotton gin. He opened area to truck, citrus, and dairy farms. He founded South Texas’ first creamery-now widely recognized. A post office, newspaper, churches, and schools were opened. A Citrus packing plant was built in 1914. Still later the city became an oil and gas production center.”
Brooks County Courthouse, 1914:
This brick courthouse was designed in classical revival style by famed courthouse architect Alfred Giles. Falfurrias is the county’s only major town. The 2010 Brooks County census was 7,223.
Don Pedrito Jaramillo Religious Shrine & Gravesite at Los Olmos (The Elms):
Jaramillo arrived in 1881 at the Los Olmos Ranch with stories of self-healing. He became famous as a faith healer, riding a burro or walking to area ranches to cure the sick. Ailing locals later came to his home for healing. Each year thousands still pilgrimage to Don Jaramillo's
burial site and shrine, leaving photos, tokens, and written wishes within the shrine walls. A Texas Historical Marker dedicated to him is located on U.S. 281 at FM 1418, 0.5 miles north of Falfurrias. Shrine directions: from Falfurrias take SH 285 East for two miles then take 1418 east one mile; at stop continue east on CR 201.
Falfurrias Heritage Museum:
The museum features displays and exhibits depicting the history of Falfurrias including a bow and arrowhead collection, a chuck wagon replica, pioneer and school exhibits, saddles, hats, cattle brands, antique appliances, cameras and office equipment, a Victorian Phonograph, military exhibits, and the Carol Dryden Collection of approximately 99,000 photos. A Texas Ranger Room displays original guns, uniforms, records, personal memorabilia and pictures of famous Texas Rangers, and 100 pairs of boots worn by the rangers, including “Big Foot” Wallace’s boots. Other exhibits detail the contributions of Chema Alaniz, Sulema Garza, Edward Lasater, and Don Pedrito Jaramillo. Open Tue-Fri, 9am-4pm, and Sat, 9am-1pm. Admission is free. Private tours are available by appointment. Call to affirm hours before arriving. (361) 325-2907. 415 North St. Mary’s, Falfurrias.
Ed Rachal Memorial Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. (361) 325-2144. 203 Calixto Mora Avenue.
Santa's Texas Workshop & Christmas House:
For over 30 years the Minton sisters have been offering tours of the Santa’s Texas Workshop beginning in the fall and lasting through March. The store is open the remainder of the year by appointment only. Call if you want to shop for Christmas items. (361) 325-2068. (800) 276-4339. 1188 East Jim Wells County Road 401. CR 401 is located midway between Falfurrias and Premont on U.S. 281. When driving north out of Falfurrias watch for the U.S. flag painted barn and the Blue and gold La Gloria I.S.D. Home of the Eagles sign on the right side of the highway; CR 401 will be the next right turn. After turning onto CR 401, drive 2.5 miles to Santa’s Texas Workshop.
Star of Texas Restaurant:
(361) 325-3900. 312 East Rice Street. Reviews