Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 200
Nearby
Towns
Ellinger, Texas
null
Ellinger Texas History:
The area was first settled by French immigrant Joseph Ehlinger, a San Jacinto veteran who received a land grant for his service. After building a nice house, he returned to France for his family, but on his return trip while crossing the Buffalo Bayou near Houston. The family continued to the new home. Joseph’s son Charles became a surveyor. He platted the town of Live Oak Hill which was located just north of present day Ellinger. When the La Grange Tap spur of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built through the area in 1873, it missed Live Oak Hill by two miles. John H. Meyer and Henry Fordtran donated 200 acres for a new townsite on the railroad. The new town was named for Joseph Ehlinger. The Ellinger post office was established in 1877. By 1878, the town had 100 residents. Cotton farming was the main industry. In the 1890s when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad built a line four miles to the north in Fayetteville, many local businesses moved there to be closer to the railroad. In 1950, Ellinger had eleven businesses and 223 residents. During the 1960s cattle ranching, pecans and grains became the main industries. Lake Fayette was constructed on the Colorado River in 1978, approximately six miles northwest of Ellinger and four miles west of Fayetteville. Ellinger is located northeast of the Colorado River at the intersection of SH 71 and FM 2503, 12.8 miles southeast of La Grange, 22 miles south of Round Top, 6.3 miles slightly southwest of Fayetteville, 35 miles southwest of Brenham, 35 miles southwest of Bellville, 12.8 miles southwest of Frelsburg, 43.5 miles northwest of San Felipe, 14 miles northwest of Columbus, 26 miles northeast of Weimar, 33 miles northeast of Schulenburg, Texas.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.
 
Painted Church - St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 1906:
This church was the first Czech built Catholic church in Texas. In 1855, the congregation built the first St. Mary’s Catholic Church out of logs in Ross Prairie. In 1861, the church was moved closer to Ellinger in Live Oak Hill. The church land was purchased in 1864. In 1879 the Czechs built the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (St. Mary’s) Church. This church burned in 1905. The current Gothic styled church was built in 1906. At this time Live Oak Hill had been renamed Hostyn Hill. The church cemetery is located adjacent to the church. (979) 378-2277. The church is located at 815 St. Mary’s Church Road, approximately 3 miles from Ellinger off FM 2503. From Ellinger drive 2 miles northeast on FM 2503. Go 0.5 miles east on CR 250. 
 
Event Venue - Ellinger Chamber of Commerce Hall:
This venue is available for event rentals. (979) 378-4202. 104 West Colorado Sky Street.  
 
Event - Annual Polka Fest, Dec:
Activities include la parade, a BBQ cook-off, live polka music, an auction, and food. This event is held from 1pm-7pm at the Chamber of Commerce Hall at 104 West Colorado Sky Street. (979) 378-2311. 
 
Event - Annual New Year’s Eve Dance:
This event is held from 8pm-midnight at the Chamber of Commerce Hall at 104 West Colorado Sky Street.
 
Hruska's Bakery, 1912:
This store is an area icon and a favorite stop of travelers from all over Texas because of its wonderful Kolaches and other baked goods, and jerky. The gift area sells Texas and Christmas items. Open Mon-Thu & Sat, 5am-9pm; Fri & Sun, 5am-10pm. Call ahead and they will hold your order. (979) 378-2333. Hruska’s is located at 109 West SH 71. Reviews  
 
Peter's Bar B Que:
Peter’s serves very good barbeque and is an area favorite. (979) 378-9115. They are located a short distance from Hruska’s at 301 West SH 71. Reviews