Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 548
Nearby
Towns
D' Hanis, Texas
null
D' Hanis Texas History:
The original settlement, located one mile east of the present day D’Hanis, was the third settlement developed by Henri Castro through his agent, Theodore Gentilz. This older settlement was established by 29 Alsatian families, and was located on the Old San Antonio Road. Each family was given a 20 acre farm and a town lot. Castro named it for William D’Hanis, Antwerp manager of his colonization colony. Building materials were in short supply so buildings were rough shelters made of mesquite pickets and thatch. These structures were eventually replaced by European style rock homes. Two years after the settlers arrived, Fort Lincoln was established to protect them from the frequent Indian raids. By 1850, the settlement had twenty dwellings and a school teacher. The D’ Hanis post office was established in 1854, and the village became a stage stop on the San Antonio-Rio Grande Road. St. Dominic’s Church was built in 1869; the church ruins are visible just east of the high school, 0.25 miles south of U.S. 90. In 1881, the town was bypassed by the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad. A new town developed at the sight of the railroad located 1.5 miles west. Over the next few years the post office, businesses and residents moved to the railroad site. This new townsite was called New D’Hanis until the name was shortened to D’Hanis. The D’Hanis Brick and Tile Company was founded in 1883. The Koch Hotel was built in 1906. D’Hanis installed waterworks in 1955, street lights in 1957, and a sewer system in 1973. The town flooded in 1894, 1919, and 1935. The Holy Cross Church was badly damaged by fire in 1963; it was rebuilt in 1964. D’Hanis is located on Parkers Creek at the intersection of U.S. 90 (Main Street) and FM 1796, 11.4 miles east of Sabinal, 33 miles northeast of Uvalde, 32 miles southeast of Concan, 41 miles southwest of Mico, 38 miles southwest of Bandera, 52 miles west of San Antonio, 25 miles west of Castroville, 8.7 miles west of Hondo, and 30 miles northwest of Devine, Texas. 
 
Historic City of D'Hanis, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1847 Henri Castro established D'Hanis, his fourth colony, 1.5 miles east of this site, named for a Castro Company official. Alsatian immigrants endured great hardship to build a community that thrived for over 30 years. In 1881, when the railroad bypassed the town, D'Hanis moved with it. Aided by the railroad, new D'Hanis flourished, sending cattle, cotton, and brick to markets. From 1900 a strong Mexican-American community grew in the town, contributing to its fortune. The new area survived despite crop failures and the Great Depression, becoming known simply as D'Hanis.” The marker is located on Front Street between Sacarosa Avenue and Lindsay Avenue.
 
Historic Site of Fort Lincoln, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Est. by the United States Army July 7, 1849 as a link in a chain of posts extending from the Rio Grande to the Red River. Named in honor of Capt. George Lincoln who fell at Buena Vista Feb. 23, 1847. Abandoned July 20, 1852, after the frontier line had advanced further west.” From D’ Hanis go approximately 2 miles northwest on FM 1796, then left on CR 4204. 
 
Historic Site of St. Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Congregation formed in 1847 with founding of D'Hanis Colony by settlers from Alsace, France. In 1853, when town became a mission parish, limestone church was built, using timber hauled by ox-wagon from Medina River. Sandstone extension was built in 1868 upon arrival of first resident pastor but abandoned after 1914 when new church was built in "New" D'Hanis (1 1/2 miles west). Cemetery, dating from burial of child of colonists in 1847, was used until 1893, when new cemetery was started following diphtheria epidemic.” The marker is located in Old D’ Hanis. 
 
Historic J.M. Koch’s Hotel, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“J. M. and Mary Ann Koch owned and operated a hotel in D'Hanis beginning in 1898. They purchased the land on this site in July 1902, and built this hotel in 1906. Reportedly constructed by Chinese railroad laborers, it is built of early bricks from the D'Hanis brick plant. In December 1914 the Koch family sold the building, which continued as a hotel until 1920. The Farmers Exchange of D'Hanis purchased it that year for use as a feed store, adding a cotton scale to the east side of the structure. A later owner operated it as a boarding house. A simple but elegant early 20th century hotel with Late Victorian details, the edifice's notable architectural features include its symmetrical plan, three-bay façade with central door, paired round-arch windows, 2-story porch and corbelled brickwork on the parapet.”
 
D’Hanis Brick & Tile Company, 1883:
The company manufactures face bricks, brick pavers, turf pavers, dry press brick, roof tile, structural clay tile for building surfaces, specialty products and floor tile. The tile is similar to Saltillo tile; I prefer D’Hanis tile. The 1970s reddish floor tile had bubbles in it; due to environmental concerns they were forced to quit making this tile. In the 1980s they were still making a tile that matched the 1970s tile minus the bubbles, and featuring a few less ridges on the bottom of the tile (ridges keep it from buckling). During the 1990s I could no longer match the 1980s tile from their new product line, but was able to find matching tile from their graveyard of tile pallets in a large nearby field. D’Hanis’ second brick manufacturing company, Seco Pressed Brick, opened in 1910. (210) 525-8142. (800) 299-9399. The company is located at 311 E. Nakoma. Photos
 
Bill & Rosa's (Double K) Steakhouse & Live Music:
Bill and Rosa serve great chicken fried steak. The restaurant offers a monthly concert series on the last Tuesday of each month. (830) 363-7230. The restaurant is located at 7300 CR 525, 78850. Restaurant Reviews  
 
Quihi Gun Club & Dance Hall and Photos, Quihi, TX:
The Quihi Schuetzen (shooting) Verein (club) was organized on Quihi Creek on May 26, 1890 as protection from Indian attacks; it is now called the Quihi Gun Club, and is one of the oldest social clubs in the country with over 600 members. The flooding of Elm and Quihi Creeks washed the buildings away three times before the current building was erected on 6 foot high pillars. Dances on its wooden dance floor are held the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. The club also has a shooting stand for members, and huge barbecue pits. Quihi is located on Quihi Creek at the intersection of FM 2676 and CR 4516 (Old Castroville Road), 5 miles northeast of Hondo, Texas. From U.S. 90 on the east side of Hondo, drive one mile north on FM 173. Drive approximately four miles east on FM 2676 to the Quihi Gun Club sign. (830) 426-2859. Quihi Area Map 
 
Annual Old Iron Trail Ride, 3rd Saturday in May, Castroville:
Participants drive antique farm tractors, and old farm cars and trucks; no horses. If you do not have an appropriate vehicle, ride on the hayride wagon. Tractors must be able to travel 8 to 10 miles per hour. This parade begins and ends at Wommack Chevrolet (1955 U.S. 90). Proceeds benefit the Make a Wish foundation. Start time is 9am. The lunch stop is at Sammy’s Restaurant at 202 U.S. 90 East. Email
 
Annual Medina County Fair, Sept:
Activities include vendors, a barbeque cook-off, free games, a carnival, live music, antique tractors, a rodeo, a Queens Court, home arts competitions, This event is held at Hondo City Park and Fairgrounds on FM 462 North. (830) 426-5406. Email