Contact
 
 
County
Coryell
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 32,032
2000 Census - 29,592
Nearby
Towns
Copperas Cove, Texas
null
Copperas Cove Texas History:
In the 1870s, a community had developed around a small store located approximately two miles southwest of the present townsite. The “Coperas Cove” post office was established in 1879. In 1901, it was renamed Copperas Cove. The town was a supply point on a feeder trail for Chisholm Trail. When the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway bypassed the town in 1882, residents and businesses moved two miles southwest to be closer to the railroad. Within two years the town had a steam gristmill-cotton gin, five general stores, a hotel, and 150 residents. By the mid-1890s the town had approximately 300 residents, and farmers increased production of cotton, small grains and feed crops. The town incorporated in 1913. Like most small Texas towns, the population and number of businesses declined during the Great Depression. The establishment of Fort Hood in the 1940s has continued to have a positive effect on the growth and economy of Copperas Cove. Copperas Cove is located at the intersection of U.S. 190 and FM 116, 53 miles northeast of Lake Buchanan, 19 miles northeast of Lampasas, 56 miles east of San Saba, 26 miles southwest of Gatesville, 36.5 miles west of Temple, 28 miles slightly northwest of Belton, 10.5 miles west of Killeen, 8 miles west of Fort Hood, 49 miles northwest of Georgetown, 37.7 miles northwest of Salado, and 37 miles north of Liberty Hill, Texas.
 
Historic Downtown Copperas Cove:
The downtown area consists of several blocks of buildings and homes dating back to the 1880s. 
 
Copperas Cove Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-7pm; Fri-Sat, 10am-2pm; closed Sunday. The library is located in a complex of buildings that house the city hall and the fire department. (254) 547-3826. 501 South Main Street.