Contact
 
 
County
Kendall
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 2,363
2000 Census - 2,358
Nearby
Towns
Comfort, Texas
null
Comfort Texas History:
The town was established and platted on the Guadalupe River banks near the site of an Indian Village in 1854 by German immigrant and freethinker Ernst Hermann Altgelt. Other German immigrants soon followed. Cypress Creek flows along the north and west borders of town and flows to its mouth on the Guadalupe River southwest of town. During the Civil War Comfort lost many young men in the Battle of Nueces. The Treue der Union Monument on High Street memorializes these men. Early Comfort industries included sheep, goats, grains, lime burning, masonry, building rock, and lumber and shingles. During the 1940s and 1950s, Comfort resident Adolf Stieler was referred to as "Angora Goat King of the World." Today Comfort is known for its hunting, fishing, youth camps, antiquing, and wineries. There are approximately 60 antique stores in Comfort, and two wineries.Much of the original town is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Comfort area is a popular hunting area due to the abundance of wild game. The Comfort News publishes a spring and fall Comfort visitor’s guide. It is available through advertisers and the Comfort Chamber of Commerce. Comfort is located on the Guadalupe River at the intersections of IH-10, U.S. 87, SH 27 and RM 473, 31 miles southeast of Hunt, 25 miles southeast of Ingram, 18 miles southeast of Kerrville, 22.6 miles south of Fredericksburg, 36 miles southwest of Stonewall, 52 miles southwest of Johnson City, 22 miles southwest of Luckenbach, 42.6 miles southwest of Blanco, 37.4 miles slightly northwest of Spring Branch, 25 miles west of Kendalia, 12.5 miles west of Sisterdale, 48.5 miles northwest of San Antonio, 16.4 miles northwest of Boerne, 7 miles northwest of Waring, 47 miles north of Mico, and 28.5 miles northeast of Bandera, Texas.  
                                 
Downtown Comfort National Historic District:
The Comfort National Historic District is one of the best preserved historic districts in Texas. It features approximately 120 rock or brick buildings dating from the 1800s. Noted architect Alfred Giles designed seven of these buildings. Both pioneer log cabins and German architecture such as gingerbread trim are prevalent in this district. Murals painted on buildings throughout the town depict the town's history. The area is roughly bounded by Cypress Creek, First Street, and Front Street. High Street features cafes, old antique stores, and other businesses.
 
Treue der Union Monument:
During the civil war, some Comfort residents backed the Union and formed the Union Loyal League to protect themselves from Indian attacks and outlaws. Confederates thought they might be a threat so martial law was declared and the Texas Rangers were sent to order all males 17 years of age and older to swear an oath of allegiance to the Confederacy. When the Comfort men refused to join, some of their farms and homes were burned, some dissidents were lynched, and according to some records, as many as 150 Comfort citizens were killed. Some men decided to wait out the war in Mexico, so on August 1, 1862, 60 of these men left for Mexico. Confederates had been informed of this event and followed the men to the banks of the Nueces River where they attacked them. Nineteen Comfort men were killed in the battle, and nine others were captured and later executed by the Confederate leader. On October 18, 8 more Comfort citizens were killed while crossing the Rio Grande near Devil's River. Three years later the bodies were recovered and buried in a mass grave in Comfort. In August 1866, the limestone obelisk Treue der Union Monument was built at the gravesite. It is inscribed with the names of 36 men who were killed or captured in the battle. This monument and the Union Monument at Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site are two of the very few Union monuments located in the South. The monument is also the oldest Civil War monument in Texas. In 1995, this monument became one of only five sites in the U.S. where the flag is permitted to be flown at half-mast year round. The monument is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located on High Street, between 3rd and 4th Streets. The monument is maintained by the Comfort Heritage Foundation. (830) 995-2641.