Contact
 
 
County
Harris
Region
Gulf Coast
Population
2010 Census - 32,289
2000 Census - 29,685
Nearby
Towns
Channelview, Texas
null
Channelview Texas History:
Channelview is located at the site where the San Jacinto River forms Old River, the name given to the four mile long old bed (channel) of the San Jacinto River located north of Lynchburg and east of Channelview. The town got its name from its location on a northeastern curve of the Houston Ship Channel. After oil was discovered in the area in 1916, blue-collar workers moved into the area. The Channelview post office was established in 1933. In 1967, Sinclair built a new chemical plant in town. The town is an unincorporated refinery suburb of Houston. The Lynchburg Reservoir is located east of town. Channelview is located on the east side of Bear Lake and on the northwest side of the Houston Ship Channel Turning Basin at the intersection of Texas 8 Beltway and IH-10 (East Freeway), 10.6 miles northwest of Baytown, 17 miles northwest of La Porte by land (much less by water), 11.7 miles northeast of Pasadena, 16.6 miles east of Houston, 25.5 miles southeast of Humble, 32 miles southeast of Kingwood, and 7 miles south of Sheldon Lake State Park and Sheldon, Texas.  
 
Historic Lorenzo de Zavala, (1789-1836), Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(1789-1836) Three miles east is homesite and grave of a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and first vice-president of the republic of Texas-- an illustrious statesman of two nations. He was born in Mexico. De Zavala, an ardent liberal and earnest advocate of democratic reforms served his native country as representative in the Spanish Cortes, Madrid; minister of the treasury; president of Chamber of Deputies; governor of State of Mexico and ambassador to France. De Zavala tired of Santa Anna's tyranny, resigned his ambassadorship and moved here in 1835. When Mexican officials learned of his taking refuge in Texas and ordered his arrest, he became a strong leader in cause of Texas independence. Voters in Harrisburg sent him in 1835 to the Consultation at San Felipe de Austin and later to the Independence Convention at Washington-on-the-Brazos. The de Zavala home, a plank-covered log house across from San Jacinto battleground, served as a hospital for both sides after the battle. An observer on the scene described de Zavala as "the most interesting man in Texas"-- he was a leading author, learned publicist, philosopher, historian, economist and constant lover of liberty”. 531 Crockett Drive.
 
Historic McGhee Elementary School, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Built before 1916, this one-room schoolhouse served the black children of this area. It originally stood about .5 mile east of this site on land donated by Joseph McGhee, a black farmer who also helped with the construction. With one teacher and seven grades, the school was typical of many in rural communities in Harris County in the early 1900s. McGhee School operated until 1942.” The marker is located at Crockett and 1st Streets.
 
M.L. Flukinger Community Center:  
Amenities include a 300 person capacity meeting room, a large commercial kitchen, restrooms and parking. The center hosts programs, classes, and other activities. The center is owned and operated by Harris County Precinct 2. Open Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm; open until 6pm on Thursday. (281) 457-1810. 16003 Lorenzo, Channelview, TX 77530.
 
El Tejano Mexican Restaurant:
(281) 452-4525. 315 Sheldon Road, Channelview, 77530.  Reviews