Contact
 
 
County
Panola
Region
Pineywoods
Population
2010 Census - 6,779
2000 Census - 6,664
Nearby
Towns
Carthage, Texas
null
Carthage Texas History:
When Panola County was formed in 1846, Pulaski was named the temporary county seat. In 1848, the current Carthage townsite was chosen for the new county seat because of its location at the county’s geographic center. Jonathan Anderson donated 100 acres for the new townsite which was named for Carthage, Mississippi. The Carthage post office was established in 1849. That same year a peeled pine log courthouse was constructed using funds collected from the sale of town lots. Carthage was incorporated in 1874, but it soon reverted to management by the county court. By 1890, Carthage had a school, churches, two newspapers, general stores and other businesses. In 1888, the Sabine Valley and Northwestern Railway extended its line to Carthage. The town reincorporated in 1902 for a short period of time. It reincorporated again in 1913 and has remained so. In 1953 a new brick courthouse was built on Sycamore Street, two blocks west of the old site on Carthage Square. In 1956, the old courthouse was auctioned off and the square was cleared for the new Jonathan Anderson Park. Carthage grew from 1,366 residents in 1920 to 6,477 by 1980. The small Dixie fishing lake is located southwest of town off CR 403. Carthage is located just west of the Sabine River at the intersections of U.S. 59, U.S. 79, SH 149 and SH 315, 42 miles west of Shreveport Louisiana, 31 miles northwest of Logansport, Louisiana, 48 miles northwest of San Augustine and the San Angelina National Forest, 35 miles northwest of the Sabine National Forest and the Toledo Bend Reservoir, 27.8 mile northwest of Joaquin, 28 miles northwest of Center, 50 miles northeast of Nacogdoches, 60 miles northeast of Jacksonville, 58 miles northeast of Rusk, 42 miles northeast of Cushing, 27 miles northeast of Timpson, 28 miles east of Henderson, 62 miles southeast of Tyler, 48 miles southeast of Gladewater, 38 miles southeast of Longview, 40 miles southeast of Kilgore, 16.5 miles southeast of Tatum and Martin Creek Lake State Park, 43 miles south of Jefferson, 29 miles south of Marshall, and 42.4 miles southwest of Caddo Lake and Karnack, Texas.
 
Panola County Veteran's Memorial:
This memorial is dedicated to Panola County veterans. It features Walls of Honor and eight flags. (903) 693-3388. 211 North Shelby Street.  
 
Jim Reeves Memorial:
A life-sized statue of Jim Travis Reeves commemorates the Panola County native who became one of America's best loved country/western singers and who died in a plane crash in 1964. After an injury forced Reeves to give up his baseball career in the Cardinals’ Minor League Team he then became a disc jockey and formed a country western band. His songs sold millions of records. He is listed in the Country Music Hall of Fame. The memorial is located on U.S. 79, three miles east of downtown Carthage.
 
Carthage a National Main Street City:
In 2010 Carthage was recognized as one of the 56 National Main Street Cities in Texas. The program promotes the revitalizations of downtown historic districts. Quaint shops are located a block off the town square in downtown Carthage. Open Mon-Fri, 8:15am-4:45 pm. (903) 693-0160. P.O. Box 400, Carthage, TX 75633.
 
Panola County Courthouse, 1953:
This concrete and brick Courthouse was designed in modern style by architect Preston M. Geren. The beautiful 1885 Panola County Courthouse was auctioned for materials and the courthouse lawn was converted into the Jonathan Anderson Park. This courthouse was a twin to the 1885 Shelby County Courthouse which is still standing in Center, Texas. The 2010 Panola County census was 23,706. (903) 693-0391. 110 South Sycamore Street.  
 
Panola County Jail, 1891:
The red brick jail was designed in Italianate and Romanesque style by architect J.N. Carnes. It served as the Carthage County Jail until 1953 when the county built a new jail and courthouse. It was used as the Carthage City Jail from 1953 to 1951. From 1965 to 1970, the City of Carthage leased the jail to the Carthage Book Club for a historical museum. In 1988, The Panola County Historical and Genealogical association restored the jail for use as a genealogy library, and a mini-law enforcement and pioneer museum. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (903) 693-3388. 213 North Shelby Street. Email