Gulf Coast
2010 Census - 11,211
2000 Census - 10,424
Clute, Texas

Clute Texas History:
Clute, also known as Clute City, was one of Brazoria County’s first plantations. Alexander Calvit, one of Stephen F. Austin original Old Three Hundred settlers, and Jared E. Groce acquired approximately 4,800 acres of land in 1824 to establish Evergreen Plantation. It later became the Herndon Sugar Plantation owned by John H. Herdon. After the Civil War, Joseph Pegan, Soloman J. Clute, and several relatives including George and John Clute, founded a community on Clute Lake near the plantation. They acquired additional land from Herndon. In 1933, Clute had two businesses and a population of ten. The town started growing when it became a part of the Brazosport industrial and port area in 1940. By 1950, Clute had a population of 700 and 36 businesses, and in 1950 the population had increased to 3,200. The town was incorporated under the name of Clute City in 1952, but it changed its name back to Clute in 1955. In 1980, it changed its name to Clute City again; by 2000 it was simply known as Clute. The town gained some acclaim from the discovery of a fossilized mammoth named Asiel. The town is identifiable by a local gas stations’ inflatable mosquito named Willie Manchew. Clute’s 2010 census was 11,211. Clute is on the southeastern border of Lake Jackson and the southern border of Richwoodon SH 332 and SH Business 228, 6 miles northwest of Freeport, 11 miles northwest of Quintana, 10.6 miles northwest of Surfside Beach, 7.3 miles northwest of Oyster Creek, 12.7 miles northeast of Jones Creek, 13.5 miles southeast of Brazoria, and 10 miles slightly southeast of Angleton, Texas. 
Brazosport Area of Cities, 50 Miles South of Houston:
Clute, Freeport, Jones Creek, Lake Jackson, Oyster Creek, Quintana, Richwood, and Surfside Beach make up this area of cities. They are located at the mouth of the Brazos and San Bernard Rivers, and together have approximately 44 miles of sandy beaches. Industries include chemical manufacturing, petro-chemical processing, a variety of other manufacturing industries, deep water port activities, sports and commercial fishing, and tourism. These towns are very close together, so whether you are planning to visit or move to one of these towns, it is important to read and research each one of them. Limiting yourself to the activities, and cultural or outdoor offerings of one of these towns, would be similar to isolating yourself in the neighborhood you live in. The major beaches in the area are Bryan, Quintana, and Surfside Beaches. Two other nearby towns are Angleton and Sweeny. (979) 285-2501.
Southern Brazoria County Transit System:
This system operates with Lake Jackson, Clute, Freeport and Angleton, and provides connections between the four towns. (800) 266-2320. (409) 945-0820. The system operates Mon-Fri, 6am-6pm, and during summers. 
Historic Evergreen Plantation, Texas Historical Marker Text:
The plantation was purchased by Ashbel Smith and Moseley Baker for $5,000 in early 1847. They raised corn, potatoes, and sugarcane, and raised some stock. Upon his death, Smith left part of the plantation to his adopted daughter; this portion later became a part of the Goose Creek oilfield.
Historic Eagle Island Plantation, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“Eagle Island Plantation was established in 1826 along Oyster Creek on part of five leagues of land given to Sarah Ann Groce by her father, Jared Ellison Gorce, the richest man in Austin’s Colony, on the occasion of her marriage to William Harris Wharton. The cotton plantation served as the Wharton home from 1828 to 1878. Wharton replaced the original log house with an elaborate frame structure built of imported timber, surrounded by landscaped grounds and patterned after a home in Mobile, Alabama. It was capable of housing 30 guests. A brick sugar house, double kettles and duplicate machinery to avoid delay in case of breakdowns made the plantation operations highly efficient. John Austin Wharton, Wharton’s only child, owned the plantation in 1860. William Wharton Groce, a nephew of Wharton, owned the plantation after 1872, and in 1884 it was purchased by Harris Masterson.” (979) 388-1208. The Texas Historical Marker is located on the site of Restwood Cemetery, Dixie Drive in Clute.

Historic Eagle Island Plantation, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“The home of Sarah Ann Groce Wharton, (1810-1878), and William Harris Wharton, (1806-1839). William was a member of the convention of Texas in 1832, President of the Convention of 1833, a member of the Senate of the Republic of Texas from 1836-1838, and a Texas Minister to the United States from 1836-1837.” The marker is located at the entrance to the Restwood Memorial Park Cemetery, 1038 W. Plantation Drive, Clute, Texas.