Contact
 
 
County
Brazos
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 93,857
2000 Census - 86,000
Nearby
Towns
College Station, Texas
null
College Station Texas History:
In 1860, the Houston and Texas Central Railway completed a line through Bryan and the current College Station area which was located approximately four miles southeast of Bryan. In 1871, the Texas legislature established the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas as a land, sea and space grant college for the purposes of educating white males in farming, and in military techniques. All students were required to participate in the Corps of Cadets; over 20,000 cadets fought in World War II. Originally, the college was to be a branch of the yet to be established University of Texas, but the legislature never gave UT authority over the college. The college became desegregated and co-educational in the 1960s. Also in 1871, the Texas legislature chose the present College Station site as the future home of the college which opened in 1876. The town of College Station grew up around the college. In 1877, the College Station post office opened in a building adjacent to the railroad tracts. A railroad depot opened in 1883. By 1884, the town had two general stores and 350 residents. Most of the college faculty lived in university housing. In 1910, an electric interurban railway was constructed, linking College Station with Bryan. It was replaced by a bus system in the 1920s. The area north of the college began to develop as a business district during the 1910s. College Station’s WPA Post Office Mural, “Good Technique – Good Harvest”, was painted by Victor Arnautoff in 1938; the mural is missing. In the 1930s, the most northern College Station subdivision voted to incorporate with Bryan. College Station incorporated in 1938. University faculty housing was terminated in 1939, causing the town a growth spurt as the need for new housing grew. By 1940, the town had sixty businesses and 2,184 permanent residents. College Station’s growth has been closely correlated with the University’s growth. The community grew from a population of 11,396 in 1960 to 17,676 in 1970, 30,449 in 1980, 52,456 in 1990, and 67,890 in 2000. Through its ties with the university, College Station has developed high-tech manufacturing industries and become a major research center. College Station borders the southern city limits of Bryan, Texas. College Station is located in the Brazos Valley near the Brazos and Navasota Rivers at the intersections of U.S. 190/SH 6, SH 6B (South Texas Avenue), SH 30, SH 21 and FM 60 (to Somerville), 90 miles southeast of Waco and Baylor University, 26 miles southeast of Hearn, 36.5 miles southwest of Normangee, 40 miles southwest of Bedias, 50 miles slightly southwest of Huntsville and Huntsville State Park, 95 miles northwest of Houston, 48 miles northwest of Montgomery and Lake Conroe, 31 miles northwest of Anderson, 37 miles northwest of Plantersville, 22 miles northwest of Navasota, 30 miles northwest of Washington-on-the-Brazos, 47 miles north of Brenham, 106 miles northeast of Austin and the University of Texas, 25.8 miles northeast of Somerville and Lake Somerville, 27 miles northeast of Caldwell, and 13.4 miles northeast of Snook, Texas.
 
Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial:
In 2002, a bronze sculpture created by artist Robert Eccleston was dedicated in a ceremony with former President George W. Bush as speaker. The red granite memorial “Wall of Honor” features over 4,600 names of individuals who served in the military at various points in history, the names of the 24 U.S. Presidents who served in the military, and the names of seven Texas A&M University former students who received the Medal of Honor. The “War on Terror” Memorial was dedicated in May, 2005. The memorials are located along a half mile trail known as the Lynn Stuart Pathway. In September 2006, the path was named in honor of General Louis Lynn Stuart, USA, who was instrumental in bringing the Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial project to fruition. The American Revolution Memorial was dedicated on July 1, 2010. The American Revolution Memorial was dedicated on October 2, 1010, followed by the Korean War Memorial in November, 2010. As of 2012, the first of five statues planned for the World War II Memorial has been dedicated. On June 1, 2012, the War of 1812 Memorial was dedicated. A kiosk in the Travis B. Bryan, Jr. Freedom Pavilion provides access to the names of veterans on the wall. (979) 450-3296. The Brazos Valley War Memorial is located at 3101 Harvey Road in College Station. Email   
 
Aggie Bonfire Memorial, November 18, 1999:
The memorial is dedicated to 12 Aggies who tragically lost their lives in the November, 18, 1999 collapse of the Aggie Bonfire structure. The memorial features the Tradition Plaza, the History Walk and the Spirit Wall. The Tradition Plaza is the entrance to the Memorial. The History Walk is a timeline of the 90 years of history of the Bonfire prior to the accident. The Spirit Ring surrounds the site of the 1999 Bonfire. The twelve portals are turned towards the towns of the Twelve Students who lost their lives. Twenty-seven stones with inlays represent the Twenty-Seven Injured Students. Lest we forget, the twelve students who lost their lives are Miranda Denise Adams (‘02), Christopher D. Breen (‘96), Michael Stephen Ebanks (‘03), Jeremy Richard Frampton (‘03), Jamie Lynn Hand (‘03), Christopher Lee Heard (‘03),Timothy Doran Kerlee, Jr. ('03), Lucas John Kimmel ('03), Bryan A. McClain (‘02), Chad A. Powell (‘03), Jerry Don Self (‘01), and Nathan Scott West (‘02). The Memorial Student Center hosts tours during the school year. The Aggie Bonfire Memorial is open daily, dawn to dusk. (979) 845-5851. Campus Maps