Contact
 
 
County
Armstrong
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 1,196
2000 Census - 1,313
Nearby
Towns
Claude, Texas
null
Claude Texas History:
Armstrong City was established on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in 1887, but was renamed Claude. The Claude post office was established in 1888, and in the 1890 county seat election, Claude beat Washburn to become the county seat of the newly established Armstrong County. It is said that the election was close and that Charles Goodnight cast the tie-breaking vote. Claude became a commercial and shipping center for area cattle ranches. By the late 1890s, the town had several stores, two saloons, two blacksmith shops, a livery stable, four churches, a bank, a school, the three story Palace Hotel, a wood courthouse, and a physician. A stone courthouse was built in 1912, and the first Boy Scout troop west of the Mississippi River was organized by W. A. Warner. In 1953, a new county jail was constructed out of the stones from the old one. Scenes from The Sundowners (1960), Hud (1963), and Sunshine Christmas (1977) were shot in Claude. Claude is located at the intersection of SH 207 (Hurley Avenue) and U.S. 287, 44 miles northeast of Canyon, 57 miles southeast of Fritch, 30 miles southeast of Amarillo, 17 miles south of Panhandle, 54.5 miles southwest of Pampa, 22 miles southwest of Groom, 44.6 miles west of Alanreed, 30 miles northwest of Clarendon, and 52 miles north of Silverton, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Armstrong County AgriLife Extension Office:
The Texas A & M AgriLife Extension offices are responsible for 4-H and youth programs, agriculture and natural programs, family and consumer science, and community development. They also have hunting information. They manage head start, senior citizen, home economics, agriculture, 4-H and other programs. If your tomatoes have blight, contact them. If you need to know something regarding a small town, contact them or the county judge’s office.(806) 226-3021. 100 Trice Street, Claude, Texas 79109. Email
 
Armstrong County Courthouse, 1912:
This brick and store courthouse was designed in classical revival style by architect Elmer George Withers. The 2010 Armstrong County census was 1,901. (806) 226-3221. 100 Trice Street.
 
Armstrong County Jail, Texas Historical Marker Text, 1954:
“Erected in 1953, this building is constructed of stone used to build the first masonry jail in Armstrong County, 1894. Stone for the structure (which replaced a primitive, frame "calaboose") was quarried 14 miles south at Dripping Springs in Palo Duro Canyon and then hauled here in wagons driven by local citizens. The rock was cut at this site. The 1894 building had two stories, topped by a dome, and 20-inch walls. So sturdy was it that dangerous convicts from other counties were kept here. Old-timers remember that only three prisoners ever escaped.”