Contact
 
 
County
Fayette
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 75
Nearby
Towns
Cistern, Texas
null
Cistern Texas History:
Cistern was settled in the early 1850s on a hill overlooking a fertile prairie. The town was first called Whiteside’s Prairie, and then called Cockrill’s Hill. The community became known as Cistern because the well water contained such high concentrations of minerals that residents had to build cisterns to trap rain water for domestic use. The Cistern post office was established in 1858. Residents of Cistern were mostly of Czech and German descent, and community activities centered on the Catholic and Lutheran Churches, the school, and the Harmony Club. By 1900, Cistern had two stores, two garages, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, a physician, and approximately 150 residents. After the Muldoon oilfield was discovered between Cistern and Flatonia, oil wells began to pop up in the cotton fields. In the 1950s and 1960s, cotton ceased to be a strong crop and residents turned to ranching and raising chickens. Many oil wells were abandoned and the land reverted to pasture. Cistern is located at the intersection of SH 95 and FM 115, 59 miles southeast of Austin, 27 miles southeast of Bastrop, 14.6 miles southwest of Smithville, 26 miles southwest of La Grange, 10 miles west of Muldoon, 24 miles northwest of Swiss Alp, 24.5 miles northwest of Schulenburg, 11.8 miles northwest of Flatonia, 29 miles northeast of Gonzales, 34 miles northeast of Luling, 11 miles northeast of Waelder, and 23 miles southeast of Rosanky, Texas (via Smithville). 
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.

Painted Church – Saints Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church:
The church building was built in 1868 by Bohlmann of Schulenburg. It was completed in 1888. Soon after the church was built, the two story Shade Saloon was purchased and moved to the church grounds. The nuns lived upstairs and the school was housed on the first floor. Mass is held on Sun, 8am; Thu, 6pm. The church hosts their annual picnic the last Sunday in August. Lunch is served from 11am-1pm. Event activities include live music, a horseshoe tournament, a country store, a cake spin, games, and air conditioned bingo from noon to 4pm. The trail ride leaves at 8am from 5434 Cowan Road. For contact number for the 2012 event was (361) 865-2301. For church information call the Sacred Heart Parish in Flatonia at (361) 865-3568. 113 Manchester, Cistern, Texas.
 
Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic Site Information, La Grange, TX:
In 1848, the remains of the Texans killed in the Dawson Massacre and Black Bean Death Lottery were retrieved from their original burial sites and on September 18, 1848, were reinterred in a common tomb within a sandstone vault on Monument Hill in La Grange, Texas. In 1849, German immigrant Heinrich Ludwig Kreische purchased 172 acres of land which included the Monument Hill tomb. He built a three story house, and added the brewery in 1860. By 1879, the brewery was the third largest operating brewery in Texas. Kreische’s main product was “Kreische’s Bluff Beer.” Kreische maintained the tomb until his death in 1882. After his death, the tomb fell in disrepair. The brewery closed in 1884. Because the tomb was frequently vandalized, the Kreische family requested several times to have the tomb removed from the property. In 1905, the Texas legislature authorized the acquisition of the tomb and 0.36 acres. In 1936, theTexas Centennial Commission erected a 48 foot tall shell stone monument with an art deco mural to prominently mark the mass grave. The bronze angel guarding the crypt was sculpted by a famous Franco-American sculptor.In 1949, the tomb site was transferred to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. In 1956, the Archbishop of San Antonio and the citizens of Fayette County deeded 3.58 acres to the site, and in 1977, the 36 acre Kreische Brewery and Kreische Home sites were added. The park opened to the public in 1983. Monument Hill is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of both sites are available at scheduled times and by special arrangement.Site admission is free. This historic site is located at 414 State Loop 92, La Grange, Texas. For more complete park information, read the Park Brochure, watch the Park Video, and go to the Monument Hill SHS Home Page.
 
Cistern Country Store & Dance Hall, Early 1900s:
Amenities and activities include a bar, pool tables, shuffleboard, a juke box, karaoke, Friday and Saturday night live music, a dance floor, pin ball, dominos and cards, satellite TV sports events, a deck, Wi-Fi, entertainment, and a convenience store and deli. The deli serves BBQ, sandwiches, Frito Pie, deli cold cuts sandwiches, and other deli items. April 2010 bands included the Logan Tucker Band, Vic Rodriguez, and Scotty Decker & Family. Open Mon-Fri, 11am-12am; Sat, 11am-1am; Sunday, 3pm-12am. (361) 865-3655. The store is located at 12604 SH 95 in Cistern, Texas. Email 
 
Event - Cistern Big Buck Contest:
This contest applies to local deer hunted on low fence ranches in the Cistern Area. Deer must be brought into the Cistern Country Store to be weighed and measured. Bow hunters may enter the contest during rifle season. (361) 865-3655. To weigh in deer after hours call: (512) 739-7840 or (979) 743-7368. Email