Contact
 
 
County
Coleman
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 4,707
2000 Census - 5,127
Nearby
Towns
Coleman, Texas
null
Coleman Texas History:
In 1876, the Coleman townsite was chosen as the new county seat of Coleman County because of its location near the geographic center of the county. R.J. Clow donated 160 acres for the new townsite which was platted by J. F. Gordon and R. S. Bowen. Both the town and county were named for Sam Houston's aide Robert M. Coleman, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The town became a supply center for the cattle drivers on the Western Trail. The first courthouse housed bachelor quarters and a general store, and was used for religious services and community gatherings. The first person buried in the town cemetery was killed in a shootout outside the one of the town’s general stores. The first public school was built in 1882. The population grew from 1,362 in 1904 to over 3,000 in 1912. The Santa Fe Railway built a line a five miles north of Coleman, but in 1886 a spur line connected the town to the main line. Ranching was the most important industry until after 1900 when cotton farming became important. During the Great Depression many cotton farmers moved to town, and the town’s main industries became meat processing, wool, and the manufacturing of brick and clay tile, clothing, leather goods, office supplies, and furniture. Coleman is located on Hords Creek at the intersections of U.S. 283/U.S. 84, SH 153 and SH 206, 52.6 miles southeast of Abilene, 47.5 miles southeast of Buffalo Gap, 60 miles southwest of Eastland, 28 miles southwest of Cross Plains, 30 miles northwest of Brownwood, 9 miles northwest of Santa Anna, 53 miles north of Brady, 52 miles northeast of Paint Rock, and 36 miles northeast of Ballinger, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  Plains Trail Map
 
Coleman County Courthouse, 1884:
The original beautiful stone courthouse was designed in Romanesque revival style by W. W. Dudley. Mr. Wyatt Hendrick remodeled it in 1952; it no longer resembles the original structure. The 2010 Coleman County census was 8,895. (325) 625-4218. 100 W. Live Oak Street, Coleman, Texas 76834. Email    
 
Coleman County Jail, 1890:
This building was designed in Victorian style with Romanesque Revival style traces; it still retains this style.The lower floor contains the jailer’s living quarters and the upper floor houses maximum and minimum security cells. The Coleman County Sheriff’s Department is housed in the county courthouse, but uses the old Coleman County jail cells. The jail is located on the northeast corner of the courthouse square.
 
Old Santa Fe Railroad Depot:
The police department was housed in the renovated depot until 2012 when construction was completed on new quarters added to the city hall building. The depot will remain empty until a new use can be found.
The depot is located at 411 East College Avenue.
 
Heritage Hall & Coleman Museum:
The museum features exhibits depicting the history of Coleman and Coleman County. The museum also hosts art shows. The museum is currently raising funds to build a building to house the LeFrance fire engine. Heritage Hall is available for event rentals. Open Fri-Sat, 10am-4pm. (325) 625-2000. The museum is located inside Heritage Hall at the 1917 Presbyterian Church. 400 West College Avenue. 
 
Fine Arts League of Coleman County:
Their goal is to further art appreciation and education in Coleman County. The League offers workshops, and host shows including the annual Fiesta de la Paloma Art Show and Sale the first Friday and Saturday in October, and the annual Juried Fine Art Show in May. The league meets the third Saturday of each month at 2pm in the Heritage Hall & Coleman Museum at 400 College Avenue. Museum: (325) 625-2000. Art League Email
 
Coleman Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, a reservable community room, music CDs, sheet music, videos and DVDs, a copy machine, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Tue & Thu, 10am-6pm; Wed & Fri, noon-6pm; Sat, 9am-noon. (325) 625-3043. 402 Commercial Avenue.