Contact
 
 
County
Hemphill
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 2,649
2000 Census - 2,223
Nearby
Towns
Canadian, Texas
null
Canadian Texas History:
In the spring of 1887, E. P. Purcell and O. H. Nelson, who headed the Kansas Railway Townsite Company, platted the 240-acre townsite on the south bank of the Canadian River near its junction with Red Deer Creek. By summer, the railroad had completed the railroad bridge across the Canadian River form Canadian to Hogtown, and Hogtown residents and businesses had moved across the river to Canadian. The Canadian post office opened on July 4, 1888. Also that year, the Cowboy’s Reunion hosted their first annual commercial rodeo, establishing Canadian’s reputation as a rodeo town. By 1900, Canadian had incorporated and was a major retail and shipping center with railroad division headquarters and roundhouses, cotton gins and grain elevators, banks, a school, a hotel, churches, a private school, stores, and other businesses. Prior to the county going dry in 1903, Canadian had up to 13 saloons. The Woman's Christian Temperance Union has an active chapter in Canadian, and the old WCTU building also houses the city library. Today, the economy is supported by area ranches and farms and the oil and gas industry. Over 45 lakes are located in Hemphill County. A few miles south of Canadian, drivers spot Aud, the 50 foot tall dinosaur sitting on a hill off U.S.U.S. 60/83. Aubrey was created by Gene “Pig” Cockrell, and was named for his wife, Audrey. It was originally painted green, but was repainted black and gold to support the Canadian Wildcats. After Cockrell’s death around 2014, the town repainted it green, and wife Audrey choses Aud’s new green clothes. . Canadian is located approximately 14 miles west of the Oklahoma border on the Canadian River at the intersection of U.S. 83/U.S. 60 and RR 2388, 51 miles northeast of Shamrock, 34.4 miles northeast of Wheeler, 71 miles north of McLean, 100 miles northeast of Amarillo, 75 miles northeast of Borger, 46.5 miles northeast of Pampa, 24 miles northeast of Miami, 73 miles southeast of Spearman, and 46 miles southeast of Perryton, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.   Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Canadian River Wagon Bridge, 1916:
This beautiful, 3,255 foot long truss bridge is the longest pin-connected bridge in Texas, and was Texas’ longest truss bridge until the completion of the Rainbow Bridge connecting Orange and Port Arthur Texas in 1938. The bridge underwent a historic restoration in 2000, and is now used as a hike and bike trail, and carries a natural gas pipeline for the High Plains Natural Gas Company. Built by the Canton Bridge Company; four additional spans were added to the original 17 spans in 1923. Parks are located at either end of the bridge. The U.S. 60 Canadian River Bridge is located northeast of Canadian.
 
Hemphill County Courthouse, 1909:
The red brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance with an Italianate tower by architects Gillcoat & Skinner. The Hemphill County Veterans Monument is located on the NW Corner of the courthouse square. The 2010 Hemphill County census was 3,807. (806) 323-6521. 400 Main Street, Canadian, Texas 79014.