Clear Lake Shores Texas History:
In 1926, Arthur and Warren Smadbeck purchased land and subdivided it into 20 foot by 100 foot tracks for a resort community they named Clear Lake Shores. They and the Houston Post-Dispatch teamed up to promote the community. A subscription to the newspaper allowed subscribers to purchase a lot for $69.50 with a down payment of $9.50 and a monthly payment of $3. The $0.50 annual dues supported the clubhouse. In April 1927, potential buyers met at the clubhouse. All 2,400 lots were sold. The Great Depression ended the developers’ dreams of profit. The town incorporated in 1962. Clear Lake Shores is a bird sanctuary. It has 1,500 boat slips, and in 2010 it had 1,063 residents. Some residents live on their boats at one of the three local marinas. The town facilities include 5 waterfront parks, a 70 year old clubhouse, and the Jarboe Bayou Picnic Pavilion. The streets are narrow so many residents use golf carts for transportation. The island speed limit is 10 MPH. Golf carts, ducks and children have the right of way. This island community is surrounded by Clear Lake and is linked to the main thoroughfares by two bridges. Clear Lake Shores is located on the west side of SH 146 and on the north side of FM 2094 (Marina Bay Drive) at the entrance of Jarboe Bayou, 1.4 miles west of Kemah, 10.6 miles south of La Porte, 2.8 miles south of Seabrook, 7.4 miles southeast of Clear Lake City, 8.3 miles east of Nassau Bay, 7 miles east of Webster, 23.8 miles southeast of Pasadena, 35.6 miles southeast of Houston, 19 miles northeast of Alvin, 5.4 miles northeast of League City,16 miles northwest of Texas City, and 26.6 miles northwest of Galveston, Texas.
Clear Lake Shores Speed Limit, 20 MPH:
The town’s speed limit is 20. Children, ducks, and golf carts have the right-of-way. Many residents prefer using golf carts to get around town.