Red River
Praries & Lakes
2010 Census - 3,285
2000 Census - 3,883
Clarksville, Texas
Clarksville Texas History:
In 1833 James Clark established and platted the townsite. It is said that Isaac Smathers built one of the first houses that later became the home of Charles DeMorse. In 1835, Clarksville became of the county seat of the newly formed Red River County. In 1837, the Texas legislature incorporated Clarksville. The town rapidly grew into an agricultural and educational center. McKenzie College was established in 1841. In 1844, the Clarksville Female Academy moved from Pine Creek to Clarksville. The Clarksville post office was established in 1846. In 1848, the First Presbyterian Church moved from Shiloh to Clarksville. Up until the early 1860s, steamboats brought goods from New Orleans to Clarksville, the most important trading center in Northwest Texas. The economy suffered during the Civil War (1861-1865) and during the post reconstruction, but began to recover in 1872 when the Transcontinental Branch of the Texas and Pacific Railway built a line through town. The railroad brought new commercial activity and the town’s population rose to 1,200 by 1885. The main industries at this time were cotton, livestock and grain. In 1914 Clarksville had a waterworks, two newspapers, an ice plant, an electric power plant and 3,000 residents. Like most small Texas towns, the town suffered economically during the Great Depression.  By 1936, the economy began to improve due to increased cotton production and the discovery of oil at Talco, 16 miles to the south. After World War II, Clarksville suffered from urban flight and the decline in the agricultural industry. By 1952, Clarksville’s population had rebounded to an estimated 4,300 residents. In 1991, Clarksville had 4,311 residents, 95 businesses. Leading industries included livestock raising, light manufacturing, and oil and gas production. Red River County is one of the oldest counties in Texas. The town’s downtown area and brick streets have been well preserved over the years; the oldest structure on the square was built in 1885. The town is a Texas Main Street City. Clarksville is located at the intersections of U.S. 82, SH 37, FM 114, FM 1159 and FM 412, 8 miles south of the Oklahoma border, 61 miles northwest of Texarkana, 39 miles northwest of New Boston, 54 miles northwest of Pittsburg, 42.6 miles northwest of Mount Pleasant, 36 miles northeast of Mount Vernon, 58 miles northeast of Sulphur Springs, 54 miles northeast of Cooper, 56 miles east of Honey Grove, and 30.4 miles east of Paris, Texas. 
Red River County Courthouse, 1884:
The courthouse was designed by architect William H. Wilson. The courthouse is built of yellow stone from a quarry near Honey Grove. The courthouse design is part Victorian, part Gothic, and part Italian Renaissance; the design was once described as “Late 19th Century Debatable.” The courthouse has been renovated and “Old Red,” the courthouse clock, was rebuilt. The courthouse is listed as a Texas Historical Landmark, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located on the courthouse square are Texas State Historical Markers in honor of the members of the Confederate Congress, Reverend William Stevenson, a pioneer Methodist preacher, and the Civil War stagecoach stop in Clarksville. 400 North Walnut Street.  
Historic Red River County Jail, 1889:
The jail was designed in High Victorian Italianate style as a companion building to the 1884 courthouse by architects Maj. S.B. Haggart and Marshall Sanguinet. It served as the county jail until 1883. The jail is located at Madison and Pecan Streets.