Contact
 
 
County
Grayson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 1,624
2000 Census - 1,235
Nearby
Towns
Collinsville, Texas
null
Collinsville Texas History:
In 1857, Joshua Miller donated land for the townsite of Springville; the post office operated there from 1857-1858. In the late 1860s the town of Toadsuck was established in the area. Following the Civil War L.M. Collins and her two sons arrived in the area and established a free school. A post office opened in 1872. In 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railway established a line in the area and established a community as a shipping and retail point for area farmers. In the early 1890s the residents of this railroad town incorporated and named the town Collinsville in honor of Collin. By 1900 the town had over 600 residents. Collinsville is located at the intersection of U.S. 377 and FM 902, 8 miles north of Tioga and Lake Ray Roberts, 33 miles northeast of Denton, 19 miles northeast Aubrey and Lake Lewisville, 22.5 miles southeast of Gainesville, 6.7 miles south of Whitesboro, 33.6 miles southwest of Denison, 27 miles southwest of Pottsboro, 27 miles southwest of Sherman, and 29 miles northwest of Van Alstyne, Texas.
 
History of the Painted Churches of Texas:
The more than 20 painted churches in Texas were established by German or Czech emigrants. The churches are so named because almost every interior surface area is painted in vivid colors. Some church interiors are painted in more detail than others. Wall inscriptions are in German or Czech. Many of the churches are small with high steeples. Many of the wooden churches are painted white. The 1886 Wesley Brethren Church in Wesley is the oldest and most primitive of the Painted Churches in Texas. It was a former school house. The 1913 Church of the Guardian Angel in Wallis, Texas was the last painted church built in Texas. In 1984, fifteen of these churches were added to the National Register of Historic Places. Five of the painted churches are located in Fayette County and five are located in Lavaca County. The most famous of the painted churches are the High Hill, Ammannsville, Dubina and Praha churches in Fayette County. All four of these churches are beautifully painted, and all are located within a short distance of each other. The Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce offers tours of these four churches. Call (866) 504-5294 for a tour. The majority of the painted churches offer regular mass or church services.  
 
St. Peter’s Catholic Church, 1918, Lindsay, Texas:
This German church was organized in 1892. The original church was destroyed by a cyclone. The present church was designed in neo-Romanesque style by Dutch architect Frank A. Ludewig, and built by Henry Wardein. The interior paintings of St. Benedict and St. Boniface were painted by Dr. Mathias Zell, father of Bernard Zell, the church pastor from 1910 to 1923. The remainder of the interior painting was completed by Swiss immigrant artist Friedolin Fuchs. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church is located in the small village of Lindsay on Main Street (follow the steeple). (940) 668-7609. 424 W Main Street. Lindsay is located 38 miles west of Sherman, Texas. Church Website
 
Collinsville Public Library:
Open Mon, 9am-noon; Tue-Thu, 1pm-5pm; closed Fri-Sun. (903) 429-6732. 409 East Woodland. Email