Contact
 
 
County
Bosque
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 3,442
2000 Census - 3,542
Nearby
Towns
Clifton, Texas
null
Clifton Texas History:
In late 1852, the families of Samuel Locker, Monroe Locker, Frank Kell, and T. A. McSpadden settled on the banks of Clear Branch and established the community of Cliff Town. The first public buildings were the Masonic hall and a log schoolhouse. The town was renamed Clifton when the post office was established in 1859. J. Stinnett built a flour mill on the Bosque River after the Civil War. The mill was replaced by a limestone mill in 1868. This mill was later converted into an electric power plant that provided the first electricity for Clifton homes. A three-story school known as Rock School was built around 1870 and served the community for more than twenty years. In 1880, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built a station a mile south of Clifton. Residents and businesses moved to be closer to the tracks. The steam powered Merchant Exchange and Flour Mill was established in 1887 or 1888. Clifton incorporated in 1901. Clifton is known as the Norwegian Capital of Texas. Clifton is the largest city in Bosque County. Clifton is located on the Bosque River at the intersection of SH 6 (Avenue G) and FM 219 (5th Street), 34 miles southeast of Hico, 50 miles southeast of Cleburne, 36.4 miles southeast of Glen Rose, 12.7 miles southeast of Meridian, 34.6 miles southwest of Hillsboro, 23 miles southwest of Whitney, 14.5 miles southwest of Laguna Park and Lake Whitney, 34.7 miles west of West, 34.7 miles northwest of Waco, 27 miles northwest of McGregor, 20 miles northwest of Crawford, 37 miles northeast of Hamilton, and 32.8 miles northeast of Hamilton, Texas.
 
Norse, Texas Historic Churches:
At one time Norse was the largest and most successful Norwegian settlement in Texas. The Our Savior’s Lutheran Church was organized in 1869 and originally held services in the Jens Ringness home which may be restored at some future date. The beautiful Our Savior's Lutheran Church was built in 1878 and is located in Norse. Between 1876 and 1886 this Lutheran Church was referred to as "The Lutheran Church", "The Norse Church", and "The Norwegian Church,” In 1886 members decided to build a second church to serve settlers located in the upper part of the Norwegian settlement near Cranfills Gap. This is when the church in Norse received its name, “Our Savior’s Lutheran Church.” The new rock church was constructed 4 miles east of Cranfills Gap and was named “St. Olaf Kirke.” By 1917, residents of Cranfills Gap had grown tired of driving 4 miles out in the country to St. Olaf Kirke’s for church services, so they built a church in Cranfills Gap and named it St. Olaf Lutheran Church. Probably to avoid name confusion, they began referring to the St. Olaf Kirke rock church as “The Old Rock Church.” Services are still held at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Norse, and at St. Olaf Lutheran Church in Cranfills Gap. The Old Rock Church has been renovated and occasionally hosts special services. It is located 4 miles east of Cranfills Gap on CR 4145. To visit Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Norse, take FM 219 6.8 miles west of Clifton, then take FM 182 North and drive 2.8 miles to the church. St. Olaf Lutheran Church is located in Cranfills Gap at 402 Meridian Street.