Contact
 
 
County
Johnson
Region
Praries & Lakes
Population
2010 Census - 29,337
2000 Census - 26,005
Nearby
Towns
Cleburne, Texas
null
Cleburne Texas History:
The townsite was located on West Buffalo Creek at former watering hole on the old wagon trail linking Fort Belknap and Fort Graham. During the Civil War, Camp Henderson, a temporary Civil War Confederate camp, was located on the site. In 1867, the former Camp Henderson site was chosen as the location of the new county seat of Johnson County because of its central location in the county. The town was named in honor of Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne, under whom many of the Johnson County men had fought during the Civil War. The Cleburne post office was established that same year. Cleburne incorporated in 1871. The town became a shipping and commercial center for area farmers. In 1881, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad completed a line between Fort Worth and Temple via Cleburne. In 1887, a secondary line connected Weatherford to Cleburne. The population grew from 683 in 1870 to 3,727 in 1890. In 1887 and 1889, the Santa Fe Railroad constructed central machine shops in Cleburne, helping to double the city's population in the 1890s. In 1882, the Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway connected Cleburne to Dallas. The Dallas, Cleburne and Southwestern Railway completed a spur to Egan in 1902, and the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway, commonly called the "Boll Weevil," operated out of Cleburne from 1904 to 1924. The Carnegie Library was built in 1904. By 1940 Cleburne had a population of 10,558. During the 1930s a Civilian Conservation Corps camp operated west of Cleburne. One of their projects was the construction of Cleburne State Park, which opened in 1941. During the latter park of World War II, a German POW Camp was established in Cleburne. The prisoners provide farm labor for area farmers. Cleburne is located just west of IH-35W at the intersections of U.S. Business 67 (Henderson Street), FM 4, SH 174 (Main Street) and SH 171, 32.6 miles southeast of Granbury, 39 miles southeast of Weatherford, 34 miles southeast of Benbrook and Benbrook Lake, 27.6 miles southeast of Acton, 19 miles southeast of Cresson, 8 miles south of Joshua, 27.5 miles southwest of Fort Worth, 15.4 miles southwest of Burleson, 53 miles southwest of Dallas, 39 miles southwest of Waxahachie, 12 miles southwest of Alvarado, 29 miles northwest of Hillsboro, 30 miles north of Whitney and Lake Whitney, 38 miles northeast of Meridian, and 24 miles northeast of Glen Rose, Texas.
 
Johnson County Courthouse, 1913:
The courthouse was designed in Texas renaissance style by architects Lang & Witchell. The 2010 Johnson County census was 150,934. (817) 556-6360. 2 North Main Street, Cleburne, Texas 76033.