Contact
 
 
County
Medina
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 2,680
2000 Census - 2,664
Nearby
Towns
Castroville, Texas
null
Castroville Texas History:
Castroville was established in 1844 on a bend in the Medina River when Henri Castro brought the first group of colonists from Alsace, France. Because empresario Henri Castro’s land grant was located in Comanche territory, the settlers were escorted to the site by a group of Texas Rangers. The town was surveyed by John James; the streets were patterned after European villages and named in honor of Castro’s relatives, friends and the capitals of Europe. The Alsatians built houses and buildings featuring pitched thatched roofs and narrow lanes similar to those in Alsace. The Castroville post office opened in 1847. In 1848, Castroville was designated county seat of the newly formed Medina County; Henri Castro donated two lots for the courthouse square. By 1856, Castroville had three large stores, a brewery, and a gristmill. The community raised corn, cattle, horses, hogs, and poultry, and sold produce to the area’s military posts. In 1880, the Southern Pacific Railroad, extending its line to the west, passed south of Castroville because the town refused to grant the railroad a bonus. Hondo became the county seat in 1892. Castroville citizens voted that year to disincorporate their town; it reincorporated in 1948. In 1984, major agricultural products included corn, maize, oats, wheat, vegetables, and hay. Agribusinesses in Castroville included a firm that processed whole-grain corn for local tortilla and corn-chip manufacturers, feed mills, and irrigation, tractor, and farm-implement dealers. Castroville is also a center for applied research in genetics and artificial breeding of livestock. Castroville is located on the Medina River at the intersections of FM 471, FM 1343 and U.S. 90, 10 miles west of San Antonio Loop 1604, 58 miles 36 miles east of Sabinal, 16 miles east of Hondo, 57 miles southeast of Concan, 43 miles southeast of Bandera, 47.5 miles southwest of Boerne, 16.8 miles southeast of Mico, 25 miles southwest of Helotes, 27 miles southwest of downtown San Antonio, 12.5 miles northwest of Lytle, 19.6 miles north of Devine, 14 miles north of Natalia, 30.6 miles northeast of Yancy, and 41 miles northeast of Pearsall, Texas.
 
Historic Old Medina County Courthouse, 1854:
Castroville was the Medina County seat until 1892 when the seat was moved to Hondo. The old courthouse now houses the Castroville City Hall. 1209 Fiorella Street.