Cibolo Texas History:
In 1867, Jacob Schlather purchased land at a safe crossing area on Cibolo Creek. Schlather’s son George established a general store which served the mostly German settlers. In 1887, Charles Fromme purchased the store and the settlement became known as Fromme’s Store. In 1877, the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built a line through the area and named the station Cibolo Valley. The Cibolo post office was established in 1883. By 1890, the community had a church, a cotton gin, a general store and approximately 100 residents. The 1940 census recorded 250 residents. Cibolo incorporated in 1965. Its proximity to Randolph Air Force Base and San Antonio has greatly contributed to the town’s growth. Cibolo is located on Cibolo Creek, north of Randolph Air Force Base on FM 78 and FM 1103, 3 miles east of IH-35, just east of Universal City and Schertz, 16 miles west of Seguin, and 12 miles east of San Antonio, Texas.
Historic Cibolo, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“A town began to grow here after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad built a line through western Guadalupe County in 1875. A general store, operated by George Schlather and Ernst Jenull, was opened the following year to serve the predominantly German population. A post office was established in 1876, and the town was named Cibolo from an Indian word for buffalo. The community was also known as Fromme's Store after Charles Fromme purchased the general store in 1882. Cibolo was officially incorporated in 1965.”
St. Paul Church, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“This congregation began about 1876 with German Lutheran worship services conducted by the Rev. T. Frehner and Oscar Samuel in private homes and a schoolhouse. A congregation, called St. Paulus Kirche, was formally organized and a church structure built on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. George Schlather in 1877. The congregation organized affiliate churches in the nearby communities of Marion in 1890 and Zuehl in 1900. A new church building was erected in 1905. Services were held exclusively in the German language until 1923. A third sanctuary was completed in 1959.” The marker is located at 108 South Main Street.
Schertz Public Library:
Cibolo residents use the Schertz Public Library. This library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 10am-8pm; Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat-Sun, Noon-6pm. (210) 619-1700. 798 Schertz Parkway.