Contact
 
 
County
Kerr
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - Unknown
2000 Census - 800
Nearby
Towns
Center Point, Texas
null
Center Point Texas History:
In 1859, Dr. Charles de Ganahl opened a post office in his home on the north side of the Guadalupe River. In 1872, the post office was moved to the south side of the river and was renamed Center Point. In 1888, Ganahl’s widow donated 200 acres of land to the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in hopes of drawing the center of the population back to the north side of the river around a community to be called Ganahl. The railroad located the station a mile north of Center Point. The community kept its name and it prospered as a commercial center for area farms and ranches. During the early 1900s, town residents experimented with renaming the town Zanzenberg. During this period, Kerr, Bandera and Kendall Counties built a fairgrounds that offered weekend horseracing. Out of town visitors considered Center Point safe due to the large number of Texas Rangers who retired there. The town continued to grow though new residents settled on the south side of the Guadalupe River so they would not have to cross the river to travel to Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Bandera, and other nearby towns. After the interstate was built, the railroad ceased operating in Center Point, and the town began to decline. Today, the town is slowing growing again. Center Point is located in a beautiful area on the Guadalupe River on SH 27, FM 1350 and RR 480, 24 miles southeast of Hunt, 18 miles southeast of Ingram, 11 miles southeast of Kerrville, 32.5 miles southwest of Fredericksburg, 10 miles southwest of Comfort, 17 miles west of Waring, 59 miles northwest of San Antonio, 30 miles northwest of Pipe Creek, 38 miles northwest of Lake Medina and Lakehills, 18.6 miles north of Bandera, and 19.4 miles northeast of Medina, Texas.
 
Historic Former Town of Zanzenberg, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“(This was the) Home of Dr. Charles De Ganahl (1824-1883), a signer of the Texas Articles of Secession in 1861 and Army Surgeon for the Confederate States of America. The home was erected in 1856 and named after Dr. Ganahl's ancestral home in the Austrian Tyrol of Europe. Here the first post office in Kerr County was established in 1857 with his wife Virginia (1834-1895) as the first postmaster.” The marker is located on the north side of SH 27, three miles east of Center Point.  
 
Center Point Diorama:
The diorama, a meticulously detailed three dimensional miniature model of the fairgrounds, train station, and downtown Center Point as they looked in the early 1900s, was built by Lt. Col. Emmett Townsend; it is located across from Center Point Antiques. It is open Fri-Sat, 10am-4pm; Sun, 1pm-4pm, and by appointment. (830) 634-2275.
 
Dave's Place:
Owned by Dave and Shelly, and located on the Guadalupe River, Dave's Place is a business combination of botanical garden, bird aviary, bed and breakfast, pottery, Jacuzzi, fishing, live bait, tube rentals, restaurant, live music and bar. The botanical garden offers a large variety of plants, trees, fountains and ponds, and seating for 40. Over 100 varieties of caged and uncaged birds are located in the aviary. Dave, a master potter, gives pottery lessons. Multi-level decks are located along the river. Rabbits, chickens, parrots, peacocks and other wildlife wander around the deck area. Beer and food (BBQ, Hamburgers, catfish & sides) are served in a large, two story, greenhouse-like building. This is the type of place you visit for the total experience, and not to critique the food, though the food is good. It has been featured in the Texas Highways magazine. (830) 634-3166. 170 Center Point Road. Email  Texas Highways Article & Photo of a Great Deck  Reviews
 
Camp Verde General Store & Cafe, Camp Verde, TX:
The store was established in 1857 to provided goods and services to the soldiers stationed at Camp Verde. The original building was washed away in a flood; the current stone building was built around 1900. The building houses the local P.O. post office boxes. They sell unusual and specialty products from around the world. The restaurant serves very good sandwiches, salads, burgers, coffee and soft drinks, homemade cookies and other desserts. The store is open daily, 9am-5pm; closed major holidays. The restaurant is open daily, 11am-3pm. (830) 634-7722. 285 Camp Verde Road East, Camp Verde, Texas 78010. Camp Verde is located at the intersection of SH 173 and FM 480, 10 miles south of Kerrville, 13 miles north of Bandera, and 10 miles southwest of Comfort. From Kerrville take SH 173 south approximately 13 miles to Camp Verde. The store is located near the intersection of SH 173 and FM 480. Email