Panhandle Plains
2010 Census - 6,105
2000 Census - 6,778
Childress, Texas
Childress Texas History:
Childress initially developed as the two separate towns of Childress City and Henry which were located four miles apart on land formerly owned by the OX Ranch. Childress County was organized when the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway built a line through the area in 1887. Childress won the election for county seat, but was ultimately declared illegal. Eventually Henry became the county seat, but the railroad gave Childress residents town lots in Henry, and Henry was renamed Childress. The town’s growth benefited from the presence of the railroad which built the Dwight Hotel, the section house and the depot. When the city incorporated in 1890, it had a post office, a livery stable, a boarding house, a restaurant, three stores, a local YMCA, a theater, and a population of 621. In 1901, the railroad made Childress a division point and constructed shops, roundhouses, and terminal facilities on land donated by Childress residents and using funds approved in a bond election. The expansion of the railroad business and an influx of settlers caused the population to swell to 5,003 by 1910. The town’s growth began to slow after the depression and Dust Bowl era, and after modern farm machinery reduced the number of needed farm workers. Today Childress is still an important agricultural center. Childress is located at the intersection of U.S. 83/62 and U.S.287 (Avenue F), 49 miles northwest of Crowell, 32 miles northwest of Quanah, 32 miles north of Paducah, 63 miles northeast of Matador, 56 miles east of Quitaque and Copper Breaks State Park, 46.8 miles east of Turkey, 117 miles south of Amarillo, 57 miles southeast of Clarendon, and 32 miles south of Wellington, Texas.
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last Great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email  T exas Plains Trail Map
Childress County Courthouse, 1939:
The courthouse was designed in modern style by architects Towns and Funk. The Veterans Memorial on the courthouse lawn features over 5,000 names of Childress veterans dating back to the Spanish American War. The 2010 Childress County census was 7,041. Contact the county judge’s office for information. (940) 937-3541. 100 Northwest Avenue E.
Childress County Heritage Museum& Michie Transportation Museum:
The museum is housed in the 1934 post office building. Exhibits include historical items from the 1800s, early photographs of the town, ranching items, chuckwagon items, household items from the early settlers, period furnished rooms, farming items, mercantile items, business office items, school items, church items, army airfield items, archaeology exhibit, Indian tribes’ exhibits, branding items and railroad items. The museum hosts events throughout the year including art exhibits by area artists, the Old Settlers Reunion, and a Festival of Lights Christmas Celebration. The Spanish colonial building is a Texas Historical Landmark. The museum also has an exhibit on the former Childress Army Airfield located west of Childress. The Michie Transportation Museum is located at the corner of Main Street and Avenue D Northwest in the Michie building, a 1926 service station and automobile sales agency. This museum houses antique vehicles, a buggy, and railroad displays This museum is open Saturdays in the summer, for special events, and by appointment. The Childress County Heritage Museum is open Tue-Sat, 10am-5pm. Admission is free. (8940) 937-2261. 210 3rd Street Northwest. 
Clarendon College, Childress Campus:
(940) 937-2001. 1902 Northwest Avenue G.
Childress Public Library:
The library provides traditional library programs, children, youth and adult programs, summer programs, public access computers with internet connections, and free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu, 9am-6pm; Fri, 9am-1pm. (940) 937-8421. 117 Northeast Avenue B.
Childress Internet Connections:
A network provides computers and internet access at the Childress Library (117 Avenue B NE), the city hall (315 Commerce Street), and at the Childress Chamber of Commerce (237 Commerce Street).
Childress Bakery Sandwich Shop & Deli:
They serve good sandwiches on homemade bread, breakfast croissants, and delicious baked items. (940) 937-8771. 1001 Avenue F Northwest. Reviews 
Heather's Bobcat Den:
(940) 937-2672. 1207 Avenue F Northwest. Reviews