Contact
 
 
County
Hartley
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 363
2000 Census - 356
Nearby
Towns
Channing, Texas
null
Channing Texas History:
Channing is the only town that developed directly from the business dealings of the XIT Ranch. When the Railroad built through the county in the spring of 1888, the railroad named the stop Rivers. Later that year it was renamed Channing because there was another Texas town named Rivers. When the business district was platted in 1891, the town was the general headquarters of the XIT Ranch which provided much of the town’s business until the ranch dissolved in 1911. In 1903, Channing replaced Hartley as county seat. Englishmen James and William Powell were the first to breed Hereford cattle in the Texas Panhandle. Channing was incorporated in 1960. It continues to be a commercial and shipping center for grains, feed, and livestock. Channing is located just east of Rita Blanca Creek and 2 miles north of the Canadian River at the intersection of U.S. 385 (Rock Island Avenue) and SH 354 (7th Street), 49 miles northeast of Adrian, 35.6 miles northeast of Vega, 65 miles southwest of Texline, 29 miles southwest of Dalhart, 61 miles southwest of Stratford, 33.7 miles southwest of Dumas, 56.6 miles west of Fritch, 13.6 miles northwest of Boys Ranch Tascosa, and 56 miles northwest of Amarillo, Texas.
 
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great war chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408. Email Plains Trail Map
 
Historic XIT Ranch General Office, 1898-1899:
This building housed the general offices of the famous XIT Ranch. Five railroad cars of bricks were brought in to construct the house which features Victorian-era detailing in its decorative brackets and turned wood columns. Designed to impress visitors to the ranch, the building's Victorian elements distinguished it from the surrounding ranching environment. Texas badly needed a new capitol after a fire destroyed the old one, but didn’t have the money. The state set aside 3 million acres in the Texas Panhandle to use in payment for the capitol. Charles B. and John V. Farwell of Chicago built the Capitol for $3 million of their money in exchange for the land. The ranch was dissolved in 1912. The XIT Museum in Dalhart features ranch history exhibits. 517 Railroad Avenue.
 
Hartley County Courthouse, 1906:
When Hartley County was organized in 1891, Hartley was elected county seat and remained so until 1903, when another election made Channing the county seat. Despite threats from some local citizens, armed deputies and XIT Ranch cowboys managed to move the wooden frame courthouse, mounted on wheels, from Hartley to Channing. The 1906 brick courthouse in Channing was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect O.G. Rouquemore who also designed the Oldham County courthouse in Vega. An addition was added to the rear of the courthouse in 1935. Both the Dallam County Courthouse and the Hartley County Courthouse have the Ten Commandments Monuments on their courthouse lawns.(806) 235-3442. 900 Main Street.  
 
Hartley County Jail, 1906:
The jail was built in conjunction with the building of the courthouse using the same materials; it is still in use today.