Contact
 
 
County
Williamson
Region
Hill Country
Population
2010 Census - 48,937
2000 Census - 26,049
Nearby
Towns
Cedar Park, Texas
null
Cedar Park Texas History:
Before the town was established the settlement and the creek were known as Running Brushy. In 1871, George Cluck made a cattle drive up the Chisholm Trail accompanied by his wife Harriet, who was the first woman to make the drive. Two years later, the Clucks purchased the land which included Running Brushy Spring, the headwaters of Brushy Creek. A community developed near their ranch. In 1874, the Running Brushy post office was established. In 1882, the Austin and Northwestern Railroad was completed a line through the Cluck’s land, connecting Austin to Burnet. The railroad renamed the town Brueggerhoff. In 1887, the Cluck’s son, Emmett, renamed the town Cedar Park after the park like surroundings of his home. In 1892, when George Cluck sold the railroad company a lot adjoining the railroad, the deed called for a park and greenhouse. For years the park was used as a community meeting place. Limestone quarrying and cedar fence posts were important industries until 1970. The town incorporated in 1973; its proximity to Austin allows many residents to commute to Austin for work. Cedar Park is located on the southern border of Leander at the intersections of RR 1431 and 183A Toll Road, north of the Texas 45 Toll Road, 42 miles northeast of Marble Falls, 20.7 miles northeast of Lakeway, 14 miles northeast of Lago Vista and the Balcones Canyonlands NWR and Lake Travis, 8.6 miles northeast of Jonestown, 34 miles southeast of Burnet, 48 miles southeast of Lampasas, 24 miles southeast of Bertram, 14 miles southeast of Liberty Hill, 6 miles southeast of Leander, 15 miles southwest of Georgetown, 31 miles southwest of Taylor, 116.7 miles northwest of Pflugerville, 11.7 miles west of Round Rock, and 21 miles northwest of Austin, Texas.
 
Historic Cedar Park, Texas Historical Marker Text:
“In 1873, George and Harriet (Standefer) Cluck purchased a large amount of land in this area, which they found to be rich in Cedar trees and limestone. Their ranch and home became the central point around which the Cedar Park community developed. A post office was established in 1874 and was named Running Brushy. Harriet Cluck served as an early post mistress. When the railroad came through Running Brushy in 1882, the community's name was changed to Brueggerhoff to honor a railroad official. Five years later, the current name was adopted. Cedar Park was the scene of much growth and activity during the latter years of the nineteenth century. A community school and church building was constructed, and by 1892. A landscaped park had appeared along the rail line. George Cluck noticed the increasing popularity of barbed wire and opened a cedar yard which he made and sold cedar posts.
Cedar Park did not see much growth during the first part of the twentieth century, and by 1960 nearly all traces of the earlier community had disappeared. During the 1970s, however, the growth of Austin led to a population increase in this area, also, and the city of Cedar Park was incorporated in 1973.”