Contact
 
 
County
Randall
Region
Panhandle Plains
Population
2010 Census - 13,303
2000 Census - 12,875
Nearby
Towns
Canyon, Texas
null
Canyon Texas History:
In 1887, Lincoln Guy Conner settled in the area and surveyed the future Canyon townsite. In the spring of 1889, he platted the town. His dugout served as his home, a general store, and the post office. A.L. Hammond established a blacksmith shop. Conner refused to have the new townsite named after him, so Hammond suggested the name Canyon City, after the nearby Palo Duro Canyon. In July 1889, Canyon City was elected county seat of the newly organized Randall County. As settlers began arriving, lumber for commercial buildings was hauled from Quanah by mule-drawn freight wagons. Connor established a real estate office and built the Victoria Hotel. Canyon City became a commercial and shipping center for area ranchers and cotton farmers when the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway arrived in 1898. Canyon donated land for acres of cattle pens. By 1904, Canyon had 530 residents. It incorporated in 1906. In 1907, the rail line was completed between Canyon and Plainview, ending the stage line between the towns. Connor donated 40 acres of land for the West Texas State Normal College (now West Texas A&M University). Classes were held in the courthouse until the college’s first building completed in 1911. Also that year, Canyon City’s name was shortened to Canyon. The first American Legion post in the Southwest was established in 1921. In the early 1920s, The Santa Fe Railroad built a new depot, new schools and churches were built, Canyon’s streets and highways were paved, streetlights were put in place, and natural gas was piped in from north of Amarillo. The Randall County Library opened in 1927. The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum was established in 1932, new buildings on the university campus were constructed with Work Projects Administration funds, and a new post office building was opened in 1937. By 1950, Canyon had 4,349 residents, and the economy was boosted by Panhandle-Plains Museum and the nearby Palo Duro Canyon State Park and its annual summer outdoor drama. Canyon’s Route 66 historic area is located between George and Western Streets. Canyon is located12 miles east of Palo Duro Canyon State park and  just south of Palo Duro Creek, at the intersections of U.S. 60, U.S. 87 (23rd Street), IH-40 (Route 66) and SH 217 (4th Avenue), 30 miles northeast of Hereford, 58 miles southeast of Adrian, 44 miles southeast of Vega, 103 miles southeast of Dalhart, 55 miles southwest of Fritch, 18.6 miles southwest of Amarillo, 47 miles southwest of Panhandle, 44.5 miles southwest of Claude, 60 miles northwest of Silverton, 33 miles northwest of Tulia, and 51 miles northeast of Dimmitt, Texas.
   
Texas Plains Trail Region:
The 52-county Texas Plains Trail Region includes the Texas Panhandle and Plains. It stretches from the Texas towns of Big Spring and Colorado City in the southern portion of the region, to Muleshoe and the New Mexico state border in the west, to Quanah and Knox City in the east, and to the top of the Texas Panhandle, from Dalhart in the west to Lipscomb in the east. The Texas Plains Trail Region organization is a nonprofit heritage tourism organization affiliated with the Texas Historical Commission. TPTR acts as an economic development initiative that helps Texas communities to promote their historic and cultural resources, and increase tourism to their areas. The organization helps promote travel to heritage destinations and historic sites. A name repeatedly mentioned in the history of West Texas is Cynthia Ann Parker, a young child captured during a raid on Fort Parker. She grew up among the Comanches, married Comanche chief Peta Nocona, and had three children, Pecos, Quanah and Prairie Flower. In 1860, a party of Texas Rangers led by Sul Ross, a future governor of Texas, rescued her and her infant daughter Prairie Flower; Charles Goodnight participated in this raid. Her son Quanah became famous as the last great War Chief of the Comanche. One of TPTR’s most visible recent projects is the Quanah Parker Trail. When the project is completed, giant Quanah Parker arrow markers will have been installed in all 52 counties in the Texas Plains Trail Region. Some counties will have more than one installation. The arrows were created and donated by New Home, Texas, artist Charles Smith. As of early 2014, over 70 arrows had been installed in almost 50 counties. Each arrow will have a plaque giving pertinent historical information. (806) 747-1997. P.O. Box 88, Lubbock, Texas 79408.   Email   Texas Plains Trail Map
 
Randall County Courthouse, 1968:
The modern brick and stone courthouse was designed by architects Clayton B. Shiver and Russell A. Megert. It was attached to the north side of the 1908 courthouse. Restoration began on the 1908 courthouse in 2008. After the restoration was completed, the 1968 courthouse was demolished.  
 
Randall County Courthouse, 1908:
This beautiful brick courthouse was designed in Texas Renaissance style by architect Robert G. Kirsch. A small clock tower was damaged by a storm and removed. Restoration on this courthouse and the clock tower began in 2008. When the restoration was completed, the attached 1968 courthouse was demolished. A Texas Historical Marker commemorating the 1892 courthouse is located at the corner of 4th Avenue and 15th Street. The 1892 courthouse was a three story building which housed the town's first school. The building had a tin roof which ripped off from cowboys holding too many dances on it. The 2010 Randall County census was 120,725. (806) 468-5500. 501 16th Street.